Displaying bare blade

Hello, I did a quick search of the board and didnt find this topic so forgive me if it has been discussed already.

Would there be any issues for a blade to sit on display long term with no protection? I'm thinking of taking some out of shirasaya and setting them out. My AC is always on 68F so I dont think humidity would be a problem? What about dust and stuff? Dont really want a glass case, just want them chillin in the open on a stand but I'm not gonna risk rusting.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.

Rob P.

I think thats not a good idea.

Dust and oil is not a good preservation. 

The normal dust is a mixture of inorganic and organic materials. You have there a lot of ingrediants with fat and acid.

From the science magazin

House Dust: Decayed insects, food particles, fibers from carpets, bedding and clothing as well as particulate matter from smoking and cooking "are reflected in the disgusting mix, as Filippelli writes: If that's not enough: chemicals that are found in our clothes or in our furniture have a share of house dust.

• Like 2

I think thats not a good idea.

Dust and oil is not a good preservation.

Yea I was wondering if it would get dust on it that would cause damage to the polish when wiping it down. I have some replicas that have sat out bare blade awhile and I dont see any dust on them. Doesnt mean it isnt there though, like microdusts in the oil or something?

Hi Rob,

Not recommended, I understand the desire but, you are opening  yourself up to any number of potential problems.   Just spend sometime thinking on it,  and I'm sure you'll come up with several offputting scenarios.  If you want to enjoy naked blades, I suggest you have a plexiglas case made and add some desiccant.

-S-

• Like 2

Robbie, no need to delete.  It was an important question to ask and the answer was definitive.  Others will ask the same question.  I think that when you see bare blades displayed in museums, they are held in hermetically sealed cases. 

• Like 2

No need to delete. It's a good question and well worth reading the answers.
Dust and rust are not the only problems. At some point someone is going to bump one or play with one. I suggest a cover, case or similar.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..