Boshi

Jussi and Jeremiah,

You are of course correct. The full story of the blade can be found here:

http://to-ken.uk/onewebmedia/collect%20what%20you%20like%20(%20the%20story%20of%20an%20Enju%20wakazashi).pdf

I have no wish to divert the thread but in summary this is an O-suriage wakazashi which based on shape jigane and hamon might be considered classic Rai work. Some who saw it went further and described it as high level Rai Kunimitsu. The blade received TH papers to Enju and this was based on the fact it had an O-Maru boshi rather than the ko-Maru you would expect in Rai. I guessed the difference in value based on the two attributions was about $15k. Fortunately the Enju attribution made it affordable :)

• Like 3

Uwe, that Ko-Bizen boshi you have shot is almost ichimai. That is a rather difficult feat to achieve. Also, the hamon is quite developed - I presume this is a “late” Ko-Bizen straying into (ko-)Ichimonji? Would you tell us the smith please? Thanks

Many years ago in the JSSUS Newsletter, Ron Hartmann write a very good article on boshi. Years later I used it as part of a presentation on boshi. I ended by describing how to draw an oshigata of boshi. I supplied paper and equipment to the members. Ron's original article inspired me to draw oshigata off my Sweeties. It is amazing how much you can learn by doing that. I suggest that you try it. If you do not have the proper Japanese "crayon" I suggest that try a black "grease pencil".

• Like 5

Nice one Stephen! My initial thought would also have been Bizen. If I may ask a question, does this sword or tanto have shinogiji? Wild shot, Awataguchi or Rai school?

Hello Barry, I have often thought of trying Oshigata. However, my dominant hand is still messed up from an accident and new meds only make my hands less steady. Plus, everytime I look at a sword I see something new. So, I fear that pursuing that will greatly reduce the supply of proper paper and crayons... and my bank account. But just incase, do you have any suggestions on suppliers?

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..