Quality and value of a collection

Christophe

Not lousy but impossible to answer meaningfully.

The only true test of financial value is when an item is sold. In all areas of antiques and art the only thing that determines value is what someone is willing to pay for it on the day.

Regarding quality there are specific features that establish quality criteria. Once these have been established the assessment of value becomes much more subjective which is why as you suggest there can be considerable disagreement. The only way I can suggest to establish a reasonable level accuracy is by seeking as many opinions as possible from people who have studied the subject in detail.

• Like 3

christ3221,

finding real experts is indeed difficult!

Enterprises who have a lot of experience in selling stuff (like specialized auction houses who employ experts in their respective fields) can be helpful to give you an idea of actual market prices. Sometimes they can evaluate collections, but there is no guarantee that they are correct. 

Please add your signature to every post!

• Like 1

Hi, sorry for asking perhaps a lousy question: how can we evaluate a collection, quality and value ? when your can’ find two people who agree.

Whether it's swords or tosogu, my answer is easy:

What excites or moves you?

If one can only assign a monetary value to a collection, then you better have a LOT of money to devote to nihonto as the accepted "best pieces" are going to be expensive. Wildly so.

But what value does YOUR collection mean to you? This is a better question IMO. 

• Like 2

Hi, to be honest, I don't assign a monetary value, I buy rather what I like, specially kozuke and menuki. My collection mean a lot for me, as its gives me personal time outside. Well ,difficult to explain.

Thanks for everythings.

Christophe

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..