Current Research Focus

Soshin

You're hilarious Alex, you obviously don't have any real experience of metalwork technique yet you're still trying to defend your position, which was simply not accurate to begin with.

It's exactly this sort of tiresome misunderstanding about technique that leads people to somehow think they understand the subject yet merely makes them more vulnerable to being deceived by fakers.

It's rare day off for me so I had a couple minutes to spend here and I find myself wasting energy trying to keep the details of metalwork technology clear here and having to play ego ping pong with you.

Bye Bye, Alex.

• Like 1

Thank you Peter, that was generous of you to say. It's beautiful subject and I'm sure it can bring the best out in all of us.

I know I have had my moments here too, in the now distant past ;-) , but Brian tolerated me long enough for me to learn to be more gentle on-line.

• Like 3

Like trying to herd Shiba :-?
Can I give up too?
Just chill folks. Let Ford teach us, and you are welcome to your own opinions after that, but I for one value his input.
Really trying hard not to lock this thread.

• Like 6

Well, for me,  and i do think for most  of us, there is a feeling  of  beeing honered by a master , who shows us how the beauty of  kodogu is born.

By the  way, You are not the only tosogaholic.

To introduce myself : Hi, I am Stefan, a kinko-fetishist

• Like 3

Nobody seems to have mentioned that this is a five clawed dragon.  Dragons on Tsuba are usually 3-clawed.  Five clawed dragons were reserved for the Chinese emperor I believe, and 4-clawed for high officials.  Three clawed for the plebs.

Regards, John 

• Like 4

Nobody seems to have mentioned that this is a five clawed dragon.  Dragons on Tsuba are usually 3-clawed.  Five clawed dragons were reserved for the Chinese emperor I believe, and 4-clawed for high officials.  Three clawed for the plebs.

Regards, John 

Well then, it should be priced at one million dollars!!!

Well this post has finally ran its course and the signal to noise ratio is getting way too low now to be helpful. Did learn something from Ford wielding his verbal ax along side Henry's cringe humor. Kinko is really not my thing but I am still willing and able to learn more. My tsuba is a fair better quality compared to what is now being listed on Yahoo! Japan and other Japanese auction sites.  A friend sent this to me for reference.  The same design but the workmanship is very poor compared to my reproduction. Spotting this tsuba I am linking to as a reproduction would have been easy in my opinion. It makes me think it was made as a copy of a copy.  

https://www.sendico.com/ayahoo/item/h411428393

Sorry the link above doesn't work anymore but the photos were posted by Stephen. 

Edited by Soshin

David, sorry to burst your bubble ( I didn't sleep well...) your tsuba like object displays almost no 'workmanship', just like a poster of the Mona Lisa has no brush-marks. Let it go, you unwittingly bought a stamped fake, the die wasn't even all that accurate in terms of it pretending to be a tsuba in the first place.  And attempting to create some sort of hierarchy among a number of exact stamping is a bit like grading faeces. 

• Like 6

Regards, John 

Well, I noticed it right up front, but let it go to the cognoscenti to point it out.  In this world of fakers who have no heart it behoves us all to be alert, to learn more and to be BE HUMBLE - yet persist with The Way.  There is so much original, very good art "out there" that we, the True believers, need to have strong shoulders.  We must be eternally grateful for the likes of Ford Hallam to help us navigate this slippery mountain path.

BaZZa.

• Like 8

In the end, we have to be thankful for discussions like this one because they allow us to compare and learn something. This forum is a wonderful place of study!

In this regard, I am thankful to David who made this interesting exchange of thoughts possible. Everyone is of course free to learn new stuff or to stick to his opinion as the only true one.  

• Like 7

Well, I noticed it right up front, but let it go to the cognoscenti to point it out.  In this world of fakers who have no heart it behoves us all to be alert, to learn more and to be BE HUMBLE - yet persist with The Way.  There is so much original, very good art "out there" that we, the True believers, need to have strong shoulders.  We must be eternally grateful for the likes of Ford Hallam to help us navigate this slippery mountain path.

BaZZa.

well said Bazza, 

• Like 2

Yes, Ford I don't make tsuba professionally, taken any of your paid correspondence courses despite all the emails, or trained in a traditional apprenticeship in Japan and therefore not quality to post and/or reply on this public discussion group.  LOL! :laughing: LOL!  With that said thank you for share your knowledge and experience you are a great resource to community.

I am going to post this tsuba on my website homepage as bit of public service announcement about these type of reproductions coming out of Japan. I am going to use this tsuba on my martial arts training sword which needs a new handle anyway and the current modern tsuba looks really bad. I can't wait to send my training sword to get remounted.  I just need to get new menuki and thinking about going with modern phoenix or dragon menuki. If anyone has any suggestions let me know via PM or email.      

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..