1st Nihonto wakizashi. Late muromachi, sengoku?

russbellon

Hi all, long time lurker here. I've been more of a tosogu person, but just bought my first nihonto and could use a little help dating it and ascribing den.
I've done a little research (after buying, instead of the right way round) and am pretty sure it's Bizen and probably late Muromachi? DUe to the two character mei, it may be kazuuchimono, but i don't have the experience to really assess that and can't find many examples online to compare.

Apologies for my poor photos; i've included the set of auction photos as they're much better than mine.

Anyway, here's my  ignorant attempt at kantei. I would appreciate corrections from the experts here.

Nagasa: 45.6 cm
toshiisori: 1.3 cm
Moto-haba: 2.8 cm  Saki-haba: 1.8 cm
Moto-gasane: 0.7 cm  Saki-gasane: 0.5 cm
Jihada: Itame with mokume
Hamon: Nioi-deki. Hadori makes it look notare, but is more midare choji. Some yaki-kuzure and sunagashi. Boshi is notare
Chu kissake with (average?) fukure and notare boshi that matches on both sides.
Haagari nakago with sekigane in the ana and 2 character mei. Can't make out yasuri.
Mei (2 character) "Norimitsu."

I found a couple of other examples with similar hada and hamon signed Norimitsu, and a 3rd example (looks to be better quality) with a longer mei, but the nori and mitsu charaters look really close to mine.
http://kako.nipponto.co.jp/swords2/KT214559.htm
http://kako.nipponto.co.jp/swords/KT127655.htm
https://tokka.biz/sword/norimitsu.html

post-603-0-56027900-1563066542_thumb.jpg

post-603-0-45297600-1563066559_thumb.jpg

post-603-0-81336200-1563066577_thumb.jpg

post-603-0-58514500-1563066592_thumb.jpg

post-603-0-08274300-1563066612_thumb.jpg

post-603-0-01358400-1563066625_thumb.jpg

post-603-0-43041200-1563066647_thumb.jpg

post-603-0-74634400-1563066657_thumb.jpg

I have just a feeling, I don’t know why. Nakago jiri seems a bit strange (maybe a question of perspective), nioi deki and sue Bizen is rather nie deki, the mei centered on the shinogi and not the shinogi ji, the mekugi ana, I don’t know, perhaps a sue Bizen blade with an added mei..

Please correct me if I am wrong, but based on the first set of photos, and the polished wood floor that the sword was sitting on, I am guessing that this sword came from Komonjo, is that correct?  If you search NMB, you will find many threads about the swords that he sells.  

Robert, good eye! Yes it was a komonjo auction and i have seen some of his (charitably) mixed reviews here. The price was good, even for gimei.

Jean, i never would have noticed the mei centering in the shinogi, thanks! is sekigane in nakago ana rare?

John, i suspect you are correct.

Russ, it sounds like you probably did ok in that case, and when you are done studying it and learning from it, you can toss it back into the pond, recover your funds and move on to the next one.  I would probably not submit it for papers, if I were you. 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..