Tosogu cleaning tip.....Blu Tack

Robin

Hello all,

Maybe a nice tip for cleaning tosogu: Blu Tack.

For those who don't know what Blu Tack is...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu_Tack  It's sticky rubbery stuff. :laughing:

I use it for decades for many purposes...and recently also for cleaning tosogu.

A small piece...knead it for a short moment to make it softer and more sticky and off you go.

Rub a surface with it and it will pick up dirt and grime.

One thing...since it's very sticky....stay away from any kind of inlay.

Before...

post-4355-0-52630200-1562137991_thumb.jpg

3 minutes later...

post-4355-0-98755500-1562138035_thumb.jpg

Disclaimer: use at own risk. :)

• Like 2

Robin,

I'll check it out, that's a striking before and after.  Knowing how meticulous you are about things, I'm sure you would not have suggested it if you were doubtful about it's safety.  If you'd be interested in a product that's a bit gentler Google RODICO, it has been used by watchmakers for many years and is safe and reliable, I recommend it.

Cheers,

-S-

• Like 1

Ad omnes, cleaning is a topic that has been discussed here ad nauseam.  It is an extremely  complex subject that, for the most part, should be left to a professional.  It's understandable that most would like to 'improve' their things, but this is the honest answer....I know, no fun, but there it is.  A vast number of people will, of course, ignore this and tinker about anyway, that's what keeps conservators/restorers busy.   Many of the same people who casually grind away at rusty iron tsuba, will recoil in horror as from a suddenly appearing Bakemono, at the mere suggestion of dirt removal from a soft metal piece.  From my experience, common sense is a rare commodity indeed, so since there are so many instances in which any amateur intervention is inadvisable....the soundest reccomendation is to do nothing.  BTW, dirt and patina are not the same things, except when they are....not the 'riddle of the Sphinx'...just the truth.

-S-

• Like 5

Personally I think nothing wrong with cleaning menuki. They are not the inside of the sukashi in a tsuba or a nakago. We don't use the dirt to date them. This method is non destructive and no worse than washing with water.
I assume this is the stuff we call Prestik here.

• Like 2

Personally I think nothing wrong with cleaning menuki. They are not the inside of the sukashi in a tsuba or a nakago. We don't use the dirt to date them. This method is non destructive and no worse than washing with water.

I assume this is the stuff we call Prestik here.

Thank you. :unsure:

I think the first photo was unlucky, because of the sunlight...and even the second photo...the light reflection might suggest wear, but believe me...it's just light reflecting.

I tried to take a photo without reflection, but that didn't work....where there is light there is reflection and I can't take a photo without light.

I didn't clean the inside.

Imho dirt is not part of a menuki (or any tosogu)...it's just dirt obscuring details. 

This is in fact a very gentle way to clean...it's mechanical, not chemical. Nothing aggressive about it.

Flexible kneadable sticky rubbery stuff that can go in otherwise difficult to reach corners....it picks up dirt...nothing more, nothing less.

When the result is a clean surface, what's wrong with that?

When it looks like new without dirt, the condition of the item is apperently very good. Is that a bad thing? 

• Like 1

In case anyone is confused by my posting one statement pro cleaning and one no cleaning, let me clarify.  There are more people who can potentially work mayhem with an attempt  at 'simple' cleaning than there are those who will succeed, wether brush or tacky adhesive, the outcome is dependent on the Fates and the individual at hand.  Since the odds of a poor result are not insignificant, erring on the side of prudence and recommending the do nothing approach is most sensible.....as there are instances in which either method discussed here can cause damage, absent of the knowledge of the specifics.  If your not certain, don't do it.

-S-

• Like 6

As a professional craftsman in this tradition and restorer of the same I've never used this stuff but from what I can see it looks worth looking in to. My only concern would be the presence of sulphur, but from the look of the safety data is seems not to be an issue.

As far as concerns about things being too clean I'd point out that the oxidised wax and green film that was removed from these menuki was in fact a corrosion product. That's to say the wax has broken down and was slowly attacking the copper substrate. I've written about this issue and traditional ibota wax elsewhere on this forum, perhaps it can be found by searching for 'copper soaps'.

• Like 7

Years ago I was told to not clean any sword fitting aggressively. Focusing on menuki, a gently bath using a "worn" toothbrush and body soap. A little cleaning and a quick rinse in warm water will not attack the age shown on the backside of menuki. I well remember soaking a pair of shakudo menuki is a solution of laundry detergent and leaving them sit for an hour or so, returning to find to very bright coppery colored menuki. First lesson learned! (ouch) 

Ron STL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..