Translation help please

REY0010

Ryan,

I can read YOSHINAGA, but it was easier to read if you could show the photos in the right position (= tip up).  There were several smiths with the name YOSHINAGA, so to tell you more we would need close-up photos of all details (without HABAKI) like HAMON, HADA and full-size photos of the blade. Exact dimensions may also help.

One YOSHINAGA worked in the 14th century, but age is less important in Japanese swords than quality and condition, and signatures are not always (or should I say, seldom) genuine.....

Thank you so much Jean! It’s unbelievable that you already know that much. Sadly that’s the only picture I have at the moment. A friend of mine was selling it and said it was from the 1500’s. The blade I know to be in pretty beat up shape with chips out of the blade, some rust, and a broken tip of the sword (maybe 2-3mm). If I end up getting it I’ll post up some more pictures for you. Thanks again

-Ryan

Well, it depends on the price and how much you want it. Blade looks like it is covered in something? Dried cosmoline or varnish.

To have the blade professionally polished is going to cost you at the very minimum $100 an inch. Plus if a new habaki is made, shirasaya etc you're probably over $3k and you need to decide if it's worth this.

....and the problem is that for a decision you need to know what it is. So you need a polish to decide :(  ....or at least a small part polished (a so-called 'window') so that an expert can advise you. 

In the end all these weapons (and I think this one has some age, so no fear it could be a forgery) have been more or less carefully handmade and deserve to be saved and cared for. But it is a personal thing if you can purchase it (it should not be more than $ 250.-- in my opinion in case it is a 'naked' blade) and in the future have it polished so it can be preserved.

In its actual condition you cannot learn much from it.  

Is this a Wakizashi? It appears this was listed on eBay back in January and sold for $330. The seller has horrible feedback and I don't know if it was returned. The blade looks to be in worse shape now(I can't get the eBay photos to show up big)

I personally wouldn't pay over $200. Even if you wanted to piece it back together you'll spend a while looking for a habaki to "somewhat" fit. And it'll never be correct. Plus the cost of getting a Tsuka made etc.

Ryan,

I don't know anything about the value of the blade. It could be a national treasure, who knows? It could be a blade that has been in a fire, it may have cracks (HAGIRE) or other flaws. You will not know that before holding it in hand or having it polished by a Japanese master polisher.

But I can tell you that I would not risk any money above $ 250.--.   

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..