Ikkin Tsuba

Gunome

Hello Sebastien,

The signature and kao look in line with the exemplars for the shodai.  The design and execution, including his signature kosuki-bori look promising, but this needs to go to Shinsa.  BTW,  most/all  of the birds appear to be rather distressed,  and are in serious need of attention.  A highly skilled conservator is needed to do the work properly, it is a delicate and time consuming job that won't be cheap.  With these elements as is it's difficult to evaluate the sensitivity of the modelling, quality of workmanship.  If after your investigations you decide to right your tsuba, I suggest you consult Ford Hallam.

Best of luck,

-S-

• Like 1

Ford,

I agree with the bulk of your remarks, hense my urging furthur investigation.  Without going into a lengthy discourse, I am not a diehard Ikkin fan.  I find his aesthetic curious and his execution spotty, to explain this by saying those less than inspiring works are fakes ignores all the papered and certified examples that are less than stellar.  We can hypothesize many scenarios to explain this, periodic health problems, questionable atelier practices, etc.  Ultimately we may never know.  His work can be wonderful or not, for me, on a whole he does not scale the heights of those who directly inspired him, nor does he match the work of some of his contemporaries.  To all who may be concerned, this is solely my personal take on the matter......your mileage may vary.

-S-

• Like 1

George, au contraire, I'm glad you didn't resist, I have found a place in the archives for it.   One point of contention though, If you read my remarks you will note no backpedaling.  Whatever the verdict, I still believe furthur investigation should be explored before moving on.

-S-

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your interest for this tsuba and for your opinions.

To sum up, the mei seems to be good, but the workmanship is questionnable

In you opinion do you think the birds need to be restored before a shinsa or can the tsuba be presented in this state ?

Sebastien,

No point 'To put the cart before the horse', prior to conservation I suggest you look for some reliable opinions.   If you can get to Paris the Musée Guimet and Musée des Arts Décoratifs would be good places to start.  Either may help you, or could direct you to those who can.   If you receive favorable commentary, and wish to do so, you should proceed with conservation before presenting it to Shinsa. 

-S- 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..