Katana help

Mark C

Hi All,

I have just got a new Katana and am looking advice as to what it might be. In Gunto fittings as discussed in the Military sword section (Rather large Sarute)

Nagasa - 24 1/4" (Uchikatana?)

Short nakago of 6 5/8" and Possible Bizen in shape?

Motohaba - 37mm

Sakehaba - 27mm

Sori - 15mm Tori

Hamon -Gunome Choji but Choji appears to be hollow, Bizen? 

Can I see Utsuri in the forth picture or is it my very tired and old eyes  :)

Although the polish isn't good at all and my pictures are not the best, Taken with an led tourch and compact camera I would appreciate any opinions.

My very uneducated guess would be Sue Koto Bizen (I know this covers a broad spectrum) and I'm probably way off.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

post-7-0-39208000-1561574068_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-94815300-1561574083_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-02804600-1561574106_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-56649600-1561574121_thumb.jpg

Hi JP,

I did see that and it looks like a Z. looked at with a jewellers loope and I cant make it out. I will try to get a closeup pic and post.

Cheers

Yes, Mark, I saw the Z too, but I was talking about the lower right side portion of the nakago. It looks like steel that’s been compacted to erase a mei. Then again, it could only be pitting due to rust.

Also, do you have a picture of the whole sugata? It would help dating the blade. According to your measure, there seems to be a big difference between motohaba and sakihaba. Is it torii sori or koshi sori?

Cheers,

JP

Far  as  I can see, Takaka-no ha Yasurime. That does point to Mino. The  Hamon  looks like Kanesada School etc.

Stefan

Actually, that was also my first thought when I saw the oval spaced shapes near the kissaki, but I wasn’t so sure when I saw the complete Hamon. Though I’m still leaning towards Mino den too.

The straightening of hamon in the boshi is a tad too drastic for koto, can't see the details but if its really suguha in the boshi then the sword is shinto.

Tembun Uchigatana would typically have somewhat shorter nakago with a more "obtuse" end. With somewhat larger kissaki no fumbari and this curvature it looks probably no earlier than Momoyama and maybe no later than Kanei.

The sharp yasurime is also somewhat Shinto looking. As is "glassy" very uniform hamon, though one does find similar things on Muromachi Mino pieces as well.

Can be early shinto, mino-derived.

Kirill R.

• Like 1

I was waiting for more knowledgeable people than me to draw conclusions, but I agree with Jean.

The length could point towards uchigatana at 61 cm ubu. However, most Muromachi pieces uchigatana I’ve seen tend to be a little straighter with very little tapering. So I was leaning more towards early Shinto, but pre-Kanbun of course, Mino den.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Many thanks for your comments.

As usual, I'm way off  :(

There is definatley something going on with the nakago regarding the shinogi line, Can't see any reminance of a signature.

I have been looking for Mino hamons that are the same/simular but as of yet haven't found any.

Looking at the Boshi, the picture above  looks suguha but the other side isn't. It is also a right pig to photograph but I will get there.

Will have this one polished sometime in the future so hopefuly will make identifying the keys features easier.

Anyways, back to the books to research the Kanesada School.

Again, Many thanks for your help.

regards

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply's.

After careful measuring regarding the nakago  and all seems to be ok, I know it looks altered but the measurements say different. There are corrosion patches on the nakago in that area.

I managed to get a picture of the Boshi, What do you think?

post-7-0-68254100-1563390038_thumb.jpg

I also would like to ask if this would be considered Kyo-Yakidashi?

post-7-0-50555700-1563390071_thumb.jpg

Again, thanks for the replies.

Be careful out there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..