Number 2 of 2 recent Tanto additions

Harry

This is the second of two Tanto I recently added. Probably another beginner piece, at least based on price. It also came without a Tuba or Seppa. I found a suitable Tsuba but the Seppa I paired it with has too small of an outer diameter and will need to be replaced at some point. I bought this one because I thought it was an antique and authentic. I hope someone here will tell me if I am wrong about that. I like it. It is probably low-end but has an "all-business" blade with a Motokasane of 9mm. The Koshirae metal is Suaka (a copper alloy). I think both the Mumei blade and Koshirae are Edo period. The Saya is lacquer over wood decorated with imbedded copper and glass (?) bits. Comments welcome. TIA!

Harry

post-4780-0-09087300-1561291649_thumb.jpg

post-4780-0-55872000-1561291678_thumb.jpg

post-4780-0-07506900-1561291699_thumb.jpg

post-4780-0-80502300-1561291722_thumb.jpg

post-4780-0-66234300-1561291743_thumb.jpg

post-4780-0-99814800-1561291776_thumb.jpg

post-4780-0-43832700-1561291800_thumb.jpg

post-4780-0-35308700-1561291822_thumb.jpg

post-4780-0-78391600-1561291850_thumb.jpg

post-4780-0-28509000-1561291879_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well, the 'all-purpose' blade seems close to a YOROI-DOSHI with a thickness of 9 mm, but it may just be a very stout TANTO. The little I can see of the HAMON lets me assume it could be a MINO province blade.

The simple KOSHIRAE looks late, but good. The lacquer of the SAYA seems to contain chopped straw (looks sometimes like copper) and perhaps mother of pearl (RADEN) or Abalone (AOGAI). 

All in all a nice package from late EDO period, I think. 

Well, the 'all-purpose' blade seems close to a YOROI-DOSHI with a thickness of 9 mm, but it may just be a very stout TANTO. The little I can see of the HAMON lets me assume it could be a MINO province blade.

The simple KOSHIRAE looks late, but good. The lacquer of the SAYA seems to contain chopped straw (looks sometimes like copper) and perhaps mother of pearl (RADEN) or Abalone (AOGAI). 

All in all a nice package from late EDO period, I think. 

That is interesting, The seller mentioned that it was a Yoroi-Doshi style blade but that just bounced off me as the name is meaningless to me. 

Yes, definitely a yoroi-doshi, which is a blade that was used in CQB (close-quarters battle) to stab through Samurai armor. Worth considerably more than a plain tanto, too. I agree with Jean that it's likely a Mino blade.

I really like your koshirae, especially the long-armed monkey. Nice find.

Nice tanto. I think (?) the fittings are Sendai. Love the monkey menuki.

Rich

Many thanks. I agree it seems like a classic example from Sendai. I am glad I posted this, and the other Tanto also. I have learned a lot. I like the monkey menuki also. I am glad I asked about cleaning Koshirae. Two hours with some metal polish and a detail brush and that rascal would really shine. I will resist the urge.

Thanks again to all for the help with these two.

Harry W.

Hi Harry.,

Your charming menuki are telling the tale of the monkey who tried to capture the reflection of the moon in the water.

There are several versions of the tale sometimes involving other monkeys.

The result of all the effort is that despite your desires, you just get your fingers wet, and the once clear reflection is no more.

The moon reflected in water was a popular motif for the Bushi, as it played upon a number of aspects relating to the warrior mindset and reality.

Possibly the most famous being the calligraphy for "Sen Ki" (War Spirit  - Moon in a cold stream like a mirror) supposedly by Miyamoto  Musashi.

• Like 1

Hi Harry.,

Your charming menuki are telling the tale of the monkey who tried to capture the reflection of the moon in the water.

There are several versions of the tale sometimes involving other monkeys.

The result of all the effort is that despite your desires, you just get your fingers wet, and the once clear reflection is no more.

The moon reflected in water was a popular motif for the Bushi, as it played upon a number of aspects relating to the warrior mindset and reality.

Possibly the most famous being the calligraphy for "Sen Ki" (War Spirit  - Moon in a cold stream like a mirror) supposedly by Miyamoto  Musashi.

Many thanks! That kind of info makes this Tanto more interesting.

• 5 months later...

New owner....me!  :)

Thanks Harry.

Certainly is a thick Yori Doshi.  I measure just a touch over 1cm at the Mune-Machi.  Could use a polish I believe but took a few closure pics to capture some activity.  Not sure if a polish would be worth the investment however.

Looking for a new tsuba and kogatana to match the menuki and other fittings (copper looking).  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ben

post-2424-0-65614700-1574636484_thumb.jpgpost-2424-0-87902900-1574636528_thumb.jpgpost-2424-0-45771900-1574636561_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..