Do you think this blade is a little tired?

Or is it just me.

Seriously though, has anyone seen anything like this before? I didn't weigh the blade but it must've weighed no more than 8oz(19.5" overall blade) those aren't even the thinner spots on the blade, some measured as low as 1mm near the kissaki.

post-613-0-28607400-1561151531_thumb.jpg

post-613-0-06712500-1561151724_thumb.jpg

From the caliper photo, It’s sort of diamond shaped and it looks like you are measuring the mune not the kasane. If it’s really >6mm under the habaki and <2mm near the kissaki (near where the ideal point of impact is), then yeah a lottle tired.

Whoa! amazing a polisher took it that far down. Steve has a point in that it could be a reference for a smith that forged a single piece (Maru construction) but blades polished down this much should be reTIRED, or given the restful peace they deserve. I wouldn’t trust it to swing, not that I’d trust myself to swing nihonto at anything anyway.

I myself thought why a togishi would polish this blade down this far. We/I will probably never know. I just thought I'd share as I have never seen this before.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bend that was in the blade was caused by a gust of wind. Considering how thin it was.

• Like 1

Question? There's a question?
Where?
I take it more as a "look how polished down this blade is"
Surely there can't be a real question of "Is this blade tired?" as there is no strict definition of when a blade is tired, and it is a general condition where a sword is worn out. There can be no absolute statement of how much shingane must show for it to be tired. If it looks past it...it's tired. There is no formula and no absolute answer.
So I ask you, what is the question?

• Like 1

If you want a question...
Let's assume a Koto tanto without core steel. Made of one steel, no shingane. When is it consdered tired? If polished down to the point that it is flexible...is it tired or just worn out? Or still just an overpolished tanto? :)

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..