Translation Please

Foletta

Geoff,

I can't help with the scratched kanji, hopefully someone will; but the stamped mark is a mystery. It's a mirror image of a kanji, but as it's marked, it has not known meaning. I have collected 2 other pictures of seppa and tsuba with it. I believe it's likely a korshirae manufacturer's company mark, or an inspector of one.

Number 21, Top kanji is 'ue' or 'upper'. I presume this tells the owner which seppa to put 'on top', ie. on the habaki side of the tsuba..I have seen it before on navy fittings. Can't read the scratched kanji...maybe a closer pic?

Regards,

George,

That was the theory from my earlier inquiry on the same kanji, but they said it's a mirror image of the actual. I'm posting a picture of mine.

And I just noticed they're both on navy fittings too.

post-3487-0-26598900-1560583184_thumb.jpgpost-3487-0-74461300-1560583195_thumb.jpg

Hi Bruce, the original kanji is 'UE' upper and the bottom two pics seem to show the same kanji just stamped upside down...there is no kanji I know of that looks like the upside down one except 'shita' (under/lower), but on this the 'side' stroke is on the opposite side of the vertical stroke. maybe they just used the same stamp upside down to indicate 'lower'. Not sure. Maybe Morita san can comment?

Regards,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..