Rare IMPERIAL Household DIRK For Sale

mdiddy

I have a very rare WW2-era Japanese Imperial Household Dirk to sell. These rare dirks were carried by senior officials operating within the Emperor's household. They are the holy grail of naval and civil dirks. The total length in the mounts is 16 inches (40cm) and the length of the blade is 9.5 inches (24cm).

This example is MINTY and in immaculate condition. Crisp and clean blade, crisp and clean mounts.

Asking $10,000 usd obo. Open to cash/trade/offers. More pics available upon request.

I can be reached via message on the Board or at mdiddy8000@hotmail.com. Thanks for looking!

Matt

post-568-0-00125000-1559756329_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-00284300-1559756334_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-10655000-1559756340_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-75373400-1559756345_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-10596600-1559756351_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-10310300-1559756357_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-78381400-1559756361_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-88247000-1559756367_thumb.jpg

post-568-0-59436400-1559756373_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the comments.

I'm not sure if the blade is signed as I have not removed the tsuka. The mekugi are on fairly tight. To my eye, the blade looks to be of arsenal manufacture so I assume it is not signed. I do not see a tempered hamon. I hope that helps.

Please let me know if there are additional questions. Happy to help.

• Like 2

I can understand why a imperial household swords mounts are wonderfully decorated. But the Dirk appears to have been forgotten or left out, with styizled trend. I could never figure that out.

The really only identifying marker is the mekugi screw.

To also note the F/G BOOKS are the only source of info in English only having a drawing of the Dirk.

PS, IF your going to drop a big mount of cash the red cross dirks are very very pleasing to the eye

Hmm, what makes it so special?

If it is  a real household blade it should be signed. The Hamon and Hada don't makes me exciting. Maybe it would be better to make some good pictures with a better lightning to see activity.

We should discuss this in the military thread not in the sales thread, because i don't want to influence any buyer. 

• Like 2

The really only identifying marker is the mekugi screw.

There is also uniqueness in the designs on the saya furniture.

IF your going to drop a big amount of cash the red cross dirks are very very pleasing to the eye

IF you’re in it for pretty things, the Meiji export tsuba stand is right around the corner. BUT, if you want to collect something of historical significance, which would you prefer: the possession of a hospital bureaucrat or an item that spent time in the presence of the pinnacle of power? Tough call I suppose… :) 

Hmm, what makes it so special?

It spent time in the presence of Emperor Showa.

If it is a real household blade it should be signed. The Hamon and Hada don't makes me exciting. Maybe it would be better to make some good pictures with a better lightning to see activity.

There is no activity, the blade is arsenal made. It was not intended to have hamon and hada. Not all high level military or political mounted blades have signed nihonto. Even Emperor Showa carried a parade saber which I doubt contained Ichimonji Norifusa, Gassan Sadakatsu, or even Seki Kanenori.

post-568-0-84199500-1559931938_thumb.jpg

We should discuss this in the military thread not in the sales thread, because i don't want to influence any buyer.

Thank you for your consideration. I am open to the moderator’s discretion and decision. I’m happy if any of my swords are used to further everyone’s understanding of these fascinating items.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..