Youngest Taikei Naotane Sword?

Jussi Ekholm

Well I am not a new sword guy but as I was going through Jūyō session 63, I noticed an interesting thing. It didn't occur to me at the moment but bit later as I was tackling more difficult Naotane mei and searched help for it. I found out that it is said that Naotane died 79 years old in 1857 5th month.

In session 63 there was a Naotane sword that featured the following mei 荘司美濃介直胤 八十翁 / 安政丁巳春吉日 which hints that he was 80 when he made it in 1857. Seems to me like he was born early in the year and was 80 when he died at least according to this sword. And this might have been among some of the last swords he made in his life.

Unfortunately I do not own Zufu 63 so I thought I couldn't provide any info about that sword but as I googled I found out it is being sold by Aoi Art right now :laughing: So here is that particular sword.

https://www.aoijapan.com/katana80-okina-soshi-mino-suke-fujiwara-naotane-kao/

• Like 6

I recall we discussed this particular sword, which is no doubt top end for Naotane. It appeared on AOI soon after the TJ results in which a naotane sword passed, joining the very elite club along Kyomaro. It's quite clearly an attempts to test the market given the TJ results with a new, much higher price point for a good sword by Naotane. 

For that price, we're into high tier Koto territory.  

• Like 1

I don't know by heart whether its documented, but all chances are at that age and beginning considerably before he was not the one making them. Simply because his signature commanded higher price than Naokatsu's.

Kirill R.

Kataoka Ginsaku wrote in his short biographie that Naotane's oldest work dated Kansei 13th year (1801). He was 23 years old.

When he was over 70 years old ( Koka 2 1845) he started a five year long journey continue to make many swords. So he was a physically strong person and it's possible that he worked until his dying day..

Best

I have to readily admit to limited experience with Naotane so I can't comment on whether there was a change, and Naokatsu died younger almost at the same time, so there is this factor as well. But on the other hand there was a large group of smiths working in roughly the same general style, even Kojihei somewhere around there and so on. And big name smith are very seldom known to officially retire and stop signing blades, the blades signed with the year of smith's death are not uncommon, so the question of how much the "school" was taking over the orders from the "master" is probably always something that keeps popping up.

Kirill R.

• Like 2

It is said that his master student Naomasa helped his master in the last decade. But it's not sure that Naotane passed away and some tales telling us that he is still forging Kanemitsu blades..

Best

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..