100th Kansho Kai, in Shinoyama Castle

To be held this weekend in Tamba Sasayama Castle's Daishoin, in Hyogo Prefecture. (Mistake in thread title, unable to edit, apologies! To be read Shinoyama elsewhere in Japan.)

This is an invitation-only event with some fairly strict ground rules, such as no shorts, no jeans, and no photography permitted. Booking was completed back in April and by now cancellation fees are being charged.

Despite this, it is another chance for NBTHK members to handle 20 good swords and listen to a lecture or two. The proposed line-up says in Japanese: 

鑑賞刀 鎌倉期の刀 重美4、特重10、その他重要6、計20振予定

Which some of our members will be translating as:

"Swords for appreciation, Kamakura Period blades  Jubi (Juyo-bijutsu) x4, Tokuju (Tokubetsu Juyo) x10, other Juyo x6, Projected Total 20"

Prizes will be presented to those who do well on the attributions, apparently. Perhaps tonight some will be hitting the old Kamakura smith lists.

Any old way, just to keep people aware of one event down in these parts.  :)

• Like 3

The magnificent central structure is called O-Shoin. (Not Daishoin)

So, to straighten out the nomenclature (if you ever go there), It was held in the lovely (rebuilt) O-Shoin which stands within the walls of Sasayama Castle.

As to which swords were most impressive, they all were. Our members were all bowled over by the sheer quality. Perhaps tomorrow when I have regenerated my batteries I will post some individual sword comments.

Handling them I felt myself slipping back into Kamakura times, when these swords were all new and the latest fashion, and eagerly sought, long before anyone in the world had ever heard of the future expression Namboku-Cho.

• Like 2

The event was impeccably laid out, with these twenty swords lying on the tatami in one room for appreciation, and five more next door for Kantei. The lighting was good, and everything was well organized. The dinner in a nearby hotel was liberally enhanced by liquid refreshment.

If I have any criticism it was on behalf of the majority of old people, myself included, having to kneel and stand for every sword. Besides the handful of chairs for the watching staff, there was nowhere to sit or lie down otherwise, a form of Spartan torture, 'aaarrrggghhh, me legs, me legs', so I had to escape for a while and take photographs of the castle's features.

The first sword that stands out in my memory was No.9, one of Uesugi Kenshin's 35 favourite 'hip-hangers', a 2-Shaku 5-Sun Norikane Tachi. This is comparable IMHO to the more famous Sanchomo/Yamatorige, and fascinating to consider that we can really 'see' with the inner eye what Uesugi Kenshin loved in a sword. The elegant shape and deep koshi-zori were great, and the gorgeously flamboyant choji reminded me of the Sanchomo. A little birdie told me that it has koshirae too, and as a result of furtive negotiations it could soon be paying a visit to Osafune as part of the educational project to keep the Sanchomo in the land where it was born.

post-416-0-01488900-1558837917_thumb.jpeg

post-416-0-00664900-1558837958_thumb.jpeg

post-416-0-40945100-1558837976_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks, Piers, we really appreciate the lovely report. Wish could have studied 9-16 and 19 in some detail. Oh, well, enjoy these events on our behalf, too!

By the way, Paul Martin gave me a similar microfibre cloth with his business logo emblazoned. Thick and high-quality and not too dissimilar to the optics microfibre cloth I otherwise buy in Japan.

• Like 1

Thanks Michael.

Had a chance to double-check today and yes, to you and Brian, it is said to be the very same. As with anything, though, if it gets dirt, sand etc., embedded into it you could be in trouble, so use with the normal warnings and care.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..