First Sageo Tying

Hey guys!

You'll probably be able to point out the flaws in it. I can tell that the ends are a bit off center, but this is my first attempt at sageo tying; so I thought I'd share it with you all! This is on a wakizashi that I bought from a guy here and I replaced the tsuba with something I felt fit the piece better. Obviously the sageo's coloring is off for this, but its the closest I could find. I am still fairly proud of it (maybe my boy scout days are paying off, maybe not), though I am sure I'll look back on it years from now and shake my head. :laughing:

post-4665-0-70221100-1558216316_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-75232000-1558216336_thumb.jpg

post-4665-0-66890100-1558216342_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wish I could find a video guide for some unique knots that look good. All I've been able to find is the butterfly knot posted above and slight variations like the 'ronin knot' which is basically the same knot except the cord doesnt go both ways.

I've gotten a bit bored having the same knot on every sword.

• 2 weeks later...

Robbie, I just stumbled across https://www.animatedknots.com/, which might be helpful.

I can't claim to know much about iaido. Why is it preferable? So its easy to attach to one's belt?

Chris, each iaido ryuha seems to have a different way to attach the saya to the obi, ranging from letting the sageo hang completely loose over the saya, to tying it in a very-specific knot in a very-specific location on the obi. In all of these cases, it isn't appropriate to self-knot the sageo.

• Like 1

Ken, I've thought before about trying all sorts of modern knots on a sageo. To see if they look cool and just to learn how to tie different kinds of knots.

That site is great, the knot of the day especially will make it easy for someone casual about it like me to pick up some new knots.

Thanks!

-Rob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..