Documentary Video on Returning WW2 Sword

zook

Hi folks - 

I was perusing my wife's "Amazon Prime" account to see what Videos intrigued me, and the video "Forgive Don't Forget" showed up as a new release.  Obviously some of you may not have access, but perhaps can view via another means?   It's a 70 minute video released in 2018, and I apologize if some of you have seen it …. but it's news to me.  It's about returning a veteran captured bring back sword.    It is directed by Brad Bennett.  

Some folks in the video are well known in collecting circles.  It's an emotional topic, and I know there are many videos/clips about returning flags, so this was a bit more unique to me.   

Here is a link with summary.  It may be available on YouTube.   

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2402114/

Dan 

Dan,

I'd heard of this show for a couple of years, yet never watched it. I'm watching it now. So far quite enjoyable, thanks for sharing.

I've enjoyed the healing aspect of such acts. Like the V.N. Air Force pilots that have gone back and met V.N. pilots and their families and have become dear friends.

Thanks for the tip. I added it to my watchlist, and in the process of searching for it, I found another to watch in the suggestions, “Master and His Last Disciple“. I just finished watching that one, and highly recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip. I added it to my watchlist, and in the process of searching for it, I found another to watch in the suggestions, “Master and His Last Disciple“. I just finished watching that one, and highly recommend it.

Jason, thanks for the recommendation! It was a really good education of how the katana is made. More complete than several of the videos I've seen so far.

I'm very interested to hear what the Nihonto experts think of Kawachi's #1 disciple's use of a hydralic hammer to make his blades!!! How could his work ever be papered under the post-war rating system?

This bears consideration - and is discussed on the thread where we are talking of WWII gunto getting papers: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/28129-koa-isshin-with-nthk-papers/

Jason, thanks for the recommendation! It was a really good education of how the katana is made. More complete than several of the videos I've seen so far.

I'm very interested to hear what the Nihonto experts think of Kawachi's #1 disciple's use of a hydralic hammer to make his blades!!! How could his work ever be papered under the post-war rating system?

This bears consideration - and is discussed on the thread where we are talking of WWII gunto getting papers: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/28129-koa-isshin-with-nthk-papers/

I’m glad you liked it.

I think the use of power hammers is far more common than exclusively hand hammering, and I don’t think it disqualifies a blade from being considered “traditionally made” Nihonto. I’m sure most modern smiths have a power hammer, but we just don’t see them used in most documentaries that show the more traditional forging techniques.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..