Chicago Sword Show 2019 April 26-28

Tampa is past.... so next show is Chicago.  Information at  http://www.chicagoswordshow.com/  If you have questions or need information contact me at  nixe@bright.net   tables were sold out but  i have one dealer who may not be able to come so if you want a table let me know. The hotel is already about full, there are several others close by, one across the parking lot so let me know if you need help with that.  Large free parking area.

• 3 weeks later...

The show is less than a month away. There is a great display,  lecture, hands on examination of some great sword planned and an educational presentation. The hotel was full but i just managed to get a few rooms added to the show room block (block closes soon) so if you need a room grab one now

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/group-booking/CHIRW/G-ASNA

Tables were sold out but one dealer had a conflict and can't come  so if you need a table contact me (first come). Show is looking great, there are a number of dealers who have not had tables before, or not in many years, so i am sure at least one or two hidden treasures will be on tables. Grey and i will have a bunch of new stuff on our tables. Should be a good time for all. contact me with any questions,

thanks for looking

http://www.chicagoswordshow.com/

this year the NBTHK-AB is having a display/lecture of Yamato swords. Great examples of all 5 schools including many Juyo examples. Here is a chance to learn a lot. You can listen, study and examine in hand the these wonderful swords so you can see exactly what is being explained from examples... Even better than seeing things in books or online.

• Like 2

Mark,

Really looking forward to the show!!! Once a schedule (even if tentative) is established with day/time of events/presentations, could you please update us here? I am only able to attend on Saturday, and would hate to miss anything because I didn’t plan accordingly for what is going on that day.

Mark

Saturday is the day there are all the presentations.  Times may change slightly but as of now 10am Grey Doffin presentation ""Care Etiquette and handling of Japanese swords" .... 1pm NBTHK display (hand on) and lecture on Yamato swords covering all 5 schools great swords will be available for examination many Juyo.  3 pm Markus Sesko and Bobby Block lecture/presentation on "Horikawa Kunihiro and the Horikawa sword school he founded"  

Should be a lot of great information.  I am sure you will enjoy it

thanks

mark

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Mark & I will be taking possession of a collection: nicely mounted tanto & ko-wakizashi, tsuba, menuki, fuchi/kashira, and kogatana (in polish, some in shira-saya) just before the show.  This will be on our tables, all of it available for the 1st time in years.  Come by and have a look please (and sorry, I don't have a list).

Also, since I drive to this show and can travel heavy, if there is a book from my site you'd like hand delivered let me know and I'll take it along.

Thanks,  Grey

• Like 5

I meant to add... A recent thread on NMB about sword shows and why they may be in decline included a post about how overwhelming they are for beginners: so many swords, so little information.  Mark & I have written up short bios for the swords we will have on our tables.  Ask to see them if anything we have interests you.

Cheers,  Grey

• Like 3

As always, I'll have several beautiful swords to set out for display and sharing, if interested. Have two Juyo Sa Hiroyasu to enjoy together. Quite interesting to compare the two together. You can see the same work in them, yet the two swords are quite different. Ron STL

• Like 1

people took pictures so i am sure they will post and comment. I think the thing is this year the show was a "mad house" there were more people and activity than i expected. I think attendees get busy and just forget the post as they are tied up doing stuff.

The NBTHK-AB  presentation was great, a chance t o handle greeeeaaatt swords. There was no charge and there was more attention and interest than they planned for. It was strange but in the morning sunday there was a rush of people attending, more than in any past year.   anyway i will leave it to some others to comment and pics

• Like 3

Kudos to Mark Jones for putting on another fun show this past weekend, with assistance from Grey Doffin among others.  The room was sold out, and there were many nice things to see, handle, and -- well, perhaps to buy.  Many swords of course (a few Juyo pieces), lots of fittings, books, kimono, some matchlocks, some Eastern blades.  Lots of activity going on.  Many familiar faces, some new ones.  The weather was weird: warm sunshine on Friday, a snow blizzard on Saturday, but we were all indoors anyway playing with toys.  Education-wise the NBTHK-AB put on a hands-on demonstration of fine Yamato blades, and Bobby Block lectured about Horikawa blades.  Mark made us feel welcome with a goody-bag on each table (including a band-aid just in case), and a party with food and drink on Friday night.  This show is smaller than SF, but I have always enjoyed the ambiance, and have had some success finding "treasures" here.  Sorry I have no photos -- perhaps other attendees could chime in with some. 

Les

• Like 5

Another fun show put on by Mark. I really enjoyed the NBTHK-AB presentation. Where else can you see and hold swords of that quality? I looked at them all when the room was packed and there were lines several people deep at each sword, then hung around til most had left and got a second look at my favorites. Worth the trip right there. Bobby Block's discussion was very interesting. The Horikawa School is one I knew nothing about, so enjoyed it. As mentioned the tables were sold out, so lots of dealers there with tables full of stuff to ogle/buy. Always a great show to attend.

As always... another great show.  Even managed to have a little bit of money to spend and bought a wakizashi this year.  The NBTHK display of Yamato blades was quite an experience (if you EVER get the chance to attend one of these, do NOT pass it up).  Another thread discussed the "future of sword shows" and as I was looking at the blades I was thinking to myself "Where else is this going to happen?".  Even more enjoyable was the experienced members of the NBTHK narrating and answering questions at the same time we were inspecting the swords.  So much to see and experience.  Well done by all!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..