translation assistance please~

vermont4me

Hehe. We aim to please :)

Bob, I am sure someone will assist with a translations shortly, but since learning is the aim of the game, we always encourage members (everyone watching too) to have an attempt at them, no matter how wrong or how much of the translation is attempted. It encourages kanji recognition and learning a bit, and before you know it, many of the symbols will become familiar to you.

Not a requirement of course..just a general suggestion to everyone.

Rich's page is very helpful at http://www.nihontokanjipages.com

...And of course mention if the info is to be used for commercial sale as some prefer to know in advance.

Regards,

Brian

Guest reinhard

The signature beneath the the kiku flower reads:

"Etchu-no-Kami MASATOSHI" (Masatoshi is the smith's name)

on the other side:

"Empo 5th year 8th month" (equivalent to 1677 AD)

First generation "Etchu no Kami MASATOSHI" is one of the big names during early Edo-period. Signature and date are pointing towards later followers. The mei looks somewhat similar to one in Fujishiro's "Nihon Toko Jiten, Shinto-Hen"(p.304), attributed to Tenwa-era. This is approximately in accordance with the date given on your sword. Any infos about the blade BTW?

reinhard

Hey Bob;

I assume this blade is for resale. I've noticed some gunto's on ebay under your sign in name.

It is GOOD FORM to make this fact known when seeking help here (not to mention, THE RULES).

A lot of us spend untold hrs. translating mei, with great expense in reference material.

I would respect a request for translation (for resale purpose) if that were known in advance.

If however, this is how you make a living (antique sales?), I have a problem with that.

My apologies in advance if I am in error here.

Regards;

Todd,

Why would you assume that this sword is for sale? I do not make my living with swords, but appreciate them (all of them) immensely. Do you, when asking for assistance, make it known that 'this sword will never be for trade or sale', or the contrary?

I am sorry if I have offended you or anyone moderating this board, and certainly meant no transgression. I appreciate this forum and know some of the folks here, and I would hope that they could attest to my character and general intentions, which are (in my humble opinion), above board and honest in direction.

Best,

Bob

Bob,

I am sure Todd meant no offense. I think it just comes from everyone knowing your eBay id quite well, you buy and sell a lot of swords, so it is easy to assume that the info is for a future listing. Of course we do translations for people who do plan on selling, but many members like to know if their efforts are going to be used to make money for someone, or if they are just looking for more info on something they own.

Sites like this are fairly unique where info is given usually fast and freely, and the info is not always easy to come by elsewhere, so I guess people want to know where the info is being used. Usually not a problem at all, but I guess your eBay name pops up a lot :)

However I am happy if you say that you will let us know if the info is for commercial reasons. The same goes for all members, and I hope you don't take offense as it is good to remind everyone occasionally. It doesn't mean that commercial requests won't be answered either..that is up to the helpful members. I would like to think that those who do plan on using the info might post a big thanks and maybe even a small discount or something to NMB members if the info was helpful. (not required of course, just thinking aloud so-to-speak)

We shouldn't jump to confusions either when judging whether or not a request is commercial or not, but that is always the risk when working on the "honour system" :)

Anyways, back to the sword, and please do show us more. Those fittings really do appeal to me.

Regards,

Brian

hi brian,

Well said and thank you~ I hear everything you said and would be pleased to send a small donation to defray some costs associated with the running of this fine website! I did not want to register on this site with any other 'tradename' or nom de guerre than my own, not wanting to deceive anyone at anytime! I do collect swords and certain ones strike my fancy, others go to help cover my 'collection costs'~:)

History is and always has been more alive in Nihonto than any other items that I see~

Best~

Bob

Hi Bob,

Save the donation for a ticket or 2 for the next NMB raffle we usually have towards the end of the year. It covers costs and there are usually some nice prizes on offer. Tickets will probably be $10 each again. I need to start thinking of prizes this year, last time members really went out of their way to help and we had lots on offer. The year is speeding by again I see... :phew:

Brian

Guest reinhard

I am sure Todd meant no offense. I think it just comes from everyone knowing your eBay id quite well, you buy and sell a lot of swords

Todd's absolutely right and he doesn't need to apologize for anything. Seemingly I'm the only one not knowing the eBay community (for I don't give a...). Like I said on previous occasions: I don't mind being asked all sorts of questions and I'm ready to spend quite some time to help out enthusiasts (genuine interest provided). I'm not interested in money either, but I don't do homework for regular traders and would like to be informed before.

reinhard

• 2 months later...

Hi All. This is my first time on the board, though I have read it once or twice. Having studied the blade a bit, and comparing it to examples in the Shinto Taikan, it appears to clearly be a second generation Masatoshi. The example in Fujishiro is not great and quite different from the ones in the Taikan and the one on this blade. He is listed as chujosaku by Fujishiro. Cheers, Surf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..