Need Help

Michael  67

Michael,

if it is indeed old grease, then any solvent (isopropylic alcohol or acetone) will clean the surface without any harm to the steel. Removing the TSUKA should be no problem, if there was grease or wax involved. Take a piece of wood and place it on the TSUKA (not on the wooden HABAKI!). Tapping with a wooden (or plastic) mallet should cause the TSUKA to come free.

I once had a similar problem, but in my case, the TSUKA was glued with epoxy to the NAKAGO. There was no other way, I had to destroy the TSUKA to get it off.    

Good luck!

I agree with Jean.  I keep a bottle of acetone handy, and it cuts grease like this wonderfully without affecting the steel.   In fact, many times I have obtained swords with some staining from dried choji oil, and acetone with a Q-tip removes it completely.  Just be sure to do it in a well ventilated area and don't touch the solvent with your skin.  

• Like 1

so, now the blade is almost completely clean. Thanks for the tip with the wood to remove the Tsuka. There is no signature. Do you have an idea what period and what school that can be.

Sorry for the bad photos

Michael

I cannot comment on the period or school, but to me, it has an appealing form and the blade appears to be quite healthy. Nice find. ????

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..