Attempting to identify an old blade.

Matt House

So I'm hoping to get some help identifying/translating the markings on an old blade. It was a gift from an old friend, and I've just now gotten a fire under me to do something about it.

It's been pretty badly maimed, and I think it's a WWII 'bring back' that someone took an angle grinder to the edge of, blunting it.

More pictures available on request.

post-4939-0-94681300-1556194556_thumb.jpg

Matt, if the signature is authentic this link will give you the likely working period when your sword would have been made (Muromachi period, perhaps Eisho circa 1504-1521). If you search online for Bizen Ietsugu you will find other helpful information.

https://books.google.com/books?id=46IYtI0nkiEC&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=Bizen+Ietsugu&source=bl&ots=BRGfXc_RRq&sig=ACfU3U1F5wYMZxW-itCqXrxhTXdw6D7cQg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiywMPUquvhAhWStlkKHRsWDcQQ6AEwC3oECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=Bizen%20Ietsugu&f=false

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matthew.

I'm afraid I can't open the blade images either, nice shot of the habaki though, (blade collar).  It's what is called a niju habaki or two piece, a classy option as the majority are single piece.

If you measure the blade from tip to the notch on the back edge where the habaki sits what length do you get?

Ray has pointed you in the right direction so your sword may well be from 1504 to 1521.  Fascinating or what?  If the bug has bitten and you want to go further with this then you need to get someone to see it in hand.  The best treatment will be a proper polish and a shirasaya, (plain wooden mounts).  This is not cheap but you will be restoring something of some history.  As the sword was a gift then it is probably worth it financially.

Please do ask here for recommendations for proper polishers, a lot of people think they can do it and ruin swords.  

If you can fix the pictures maybe we can see a bit more to help you.

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..