New Suya NCO Type 95 Pick-up

zook

]In another thread I mentioned a new acquisition ... nothing rare, but quite the opposite (in condition) of the one I am restoring.  

It's from an unknown seller (non-dealer) that I had been chatting with in the States.   He said he had swords (posted several on ebay)  and shared a few pics of a Type 95.    They weren't the best pics, but enough to make me think it would be a nice pick-up.   I sent him money and crossed my fingers.   The sword arrived last week.   Pics attached.  

post-4102-0-40939300-1556047716_thumb.jpg

post-4102-0-96470700-1556047881_thumb.jpgpost-4102-0-99175000-1556047903_thumb.jpg

post-4102-0-17983600-1556048056_thumb.jpg

post-4102-0-54130400-1556047932_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys -  It's my 2nd Suya.  First one (on right in attached photo)  is curious because it has a striker mark for the screw, but no screw (and the paint is all period).  It's a bit odd, but I saw Matt Brice had one up for sale last Fall with the same issue - striker mark but not drilled.  I didn't get the serial number from the listing but I have sent a note to Matt via Facebook to see if he still has it.  I am curious if it is part of a batch or something.   I wonder if Bruce or Steve have seen these previously.    Dan 

post-4102-0-92466500-1556065664_thumb.jpg

post-4102-0-09861700-1556066262_thumb.jpg

Nice pick up Dan,

Good clean examples are IMO the best to seek out and get.

Your second example with the undrilled handle is interesting, as it makes me wonder if it had been replaced over the last few years.

I say this as there were quite a few undrilled handles for sale a few years back. Heres some pics of what was on offer, mainly aluminium handles but also some minty copper ones from memory.

All were from different sellers and all had the fuchi attached, but no locking hook inserted.

Aluminium:

post-1868-0-89625100-1556079517_thumb.jpg  another...post-1868-0-59284600-1556079560_thumb.jpg

Copper:

post-1868-0-98649900-1556079650_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting point Stegel - I've had modern repairs (paint) done in 1970s/80s on other WW2 militaria  (non-Japanese) I own, and I can often tell pigment change (modern paint) with black light.     No such difference noted.   So,  I wonder if a theory is (a) it was not drilled or (b) the handle change was done in period timeframe by Japanese ... since paint appears to match.    I don't know.   Dan 

As Stegel has already said, I have seen a few undrilled handles for sale. I suspect some were added to swords later to increase value and curiosity.

I think these are genuine frankly, because they are such high quality. I've never seen a fake or repro close. Having said that, I've not had one in hand, so can't be sure.

• Like 1

The best part about that 95 Neil is that neither of the tsuka screws are in the least bit damaged, meaning that there is little to no chance that the tsuka was repainted.

I have a couple of copper handles in similar mint condition. One at least had a leather combat cover that protected the saya. The other I'm not sure. Both have leather sarute, one ruined unfortunately.

Your sword may have been wartime refurbished, or perhaps it had an easy life or was forgotten. Lovely example, though I like field wear on all my swords. Just preference.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..