Railway Swords & Stamps

Most extraordinary, these are rare enough as it is but this one takes the cake. My only thought is similar to yours in that the sword was re-arsenaled for regular army use. The unusual aspect about this SMR mounts is they don't seem to use Mantetsu swords at all but regular Showato from Japan based smiths.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

SMR mounts

John,

I made the same mistake a while back.  North China Railway, which is what this sword was from, is separate from SMR Mantetsu.  At some stage, SMR had overall control, but they were separate lines with different emblems.

• Thanks 1

Nice to add to the list of known swords from the North China Transportation Company, or as we like to call it, the North China Railway / NCR.

Good gateway to resources on the general NCR topic here:

https://digitalorientalist.com/2020/11/27/visualizing-north-china-under-Japanese-occupation-digitized-photos-of-the-north-china-railway-archive/

ncr2.png

ncr 1.jpg

A few of those Seikosha railway pocket watches sold at an auction not too long ago. I was going to bid on one of them but they quickly got bid up. Believe they sold ~1,000usd

Curious, did those watches meet the US standards for railroad watches? Must have been lever set and stem wound and had other criteria. Had to be accurate to avoid collisions. I use to repair pocket watches and carried a Hamilton 992 most my adult life.

The other watch makers you'll see made for Japanese military are Longines, Ulysse Nardin, Stauffer, Cyma and Excelsior. Most of the other brands were private purchase or captured. Longines and Seiko are definitely the most common, I've only ever seen railway markings on Seiko watches though

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..