Railway Swords & Stamps

Most extraordinary, these are rare enough as it is but this one takes the cake. My only thought is similar to yours in that the sword was re-arsenaled for regular army use. The unusual aspect about this SMR mounts is they don't seem to use Mantetsu swords at all but regular Showato from Japan based smiths.

• Like 1

Nice to add to the list of known swords from the North China Transportation Company, or as we like to call it, the North China Railway / NCR.

Good gateway to resources on the general NCR topic here:

https://digitalorientalist.com/2020/11/27/visualizing-north-china-under-Japanese-occupation-digitized-photos-of-the-north-china-railway-archive/

ncr2.png

ncr 1.jpg

Curious, did those watches meet the US standards for railroad watches? Must have been lever set and stem wound and had other criteria. Had to be accurate to avoid collisions. I use to repair pocket watches and carried a Hamilton 992 most my adult life.

The other watch makers you'll see made for Japanese military are Longines, Ulysse Nardin, Stauffer, Cyma and Excelsior. Most of the other brands were private purchase or captured. Longines and Seiko are definitely the most common, I've only ever seen railway markings on Seiko watches though

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Another NCR gunto, showa-stamped Kaneriki blade, from the John Plimpton collection, on sale by @mdiddy HERE.

After seeing the upside-down NCR logo on the nakago jiri, I looked at the other 2 on this thread, and they are all stamped that way.  Hm.  Seems like an odd practice to place the emblem upside-down, at least in mei conventional practices.  Might show some corresponding light onto the upside-down "M" stamp, seen as a "W". 

0 - Railway Gunto.jpg

1 - 3.jpg

1 - 4.jpg

1 - 5.jpg

1 - 8.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ontario_Archaeology said:

this sword is in Dawsons

Ah, missed that!  These reference books have SO much stuff that they have to be read more than once to actually see it all.  Of course, the first time I went through it, I didn't know anything at all, so I didn't know the significance of most of the stuff in there.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:26 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

Another NCR gunto, showa-stamped Kaneriki blade, from the John Plimpton collection, on sale by @mdiddy HERE.

I like this sword.Unfortunately the Ishizuke 石突 is just for the standard Type 98 has no NCR logo, it would be very hard if it's not impossible to find the parts. These swords are all about the fitting,not so much for the blade. It's kind of like copper handle NCO without the correct scabbard, which will affect the value quite a bit.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
6 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Another Manchukuo Rail sword found by @tbonesullivan on this thread:

These railway swords it's all about fittings. This one only has the Railway logo on the drag,IMO it's not considered an official MNR sword. Maybe the scabbard is not original to the blade.

13 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

These railway swords it's all about fittings. This one only has the Railway logo on the drag,IMO it's not considered an official MNR sword. Maybe the scabbard is not original to the blade.

The scabbard does have a lock which is aligned correctly. But no way to say whether it wasn't swapped out at some point.

4 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

The scabbard does have a lock which is aligned correctly. But no way to say whether it wasn't swapped out at some point.

I agree with you, we might never know when the scabbard was paired with the current blade.

My point is, if the railway sword handle has the logo, it is a railway sword, even if the scabbard drag was gone. But if another way around, it can only be identified as the scabbard of the railway sword instead of the whole rig.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
17 hours ago, Ontario_Archaeology said:

3rd railway official dress saber,

Thanks Matt!  Any chance of getting a clear shot of that emblem?  I'm pretty sure it's the JGR, Japanese Govt Railway, but there is a TGR, Taiwan Govt Railway that is almost identical, difference being that item in the center.

Just now, Bruce Pennington said:

Thanks Matt!  Any chance of getting a clear shot of that emblem?  I'm pretty sure it's the JGR, Japanese Govt Railway, but there is a TGR, Taiwan Govt Railway that is almost identical, difference being that item in the center.

Ah you are right, this is the only picture I saw posted of that sword on the ebay listing. maybe we can @ St Croix Blades for more. 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..