Interesting podcast interviews with Trevor Absolon re armor

RichardP

Hello All-

Just stumbled over this interesting podcast, don’t see that it’s been mentioned here before

http://samuraipodcast.com

Of particular interest was Episodes 43 and 44, “Samurai Armor: An Interview with Trevor Absolon”:

http://samuraipodcast.com/ep43-samurai-armor-an-interview-with-trevor-absolon-part-1

He reappears for Episodes 51 and 52, “Shady Ethics in the Japanese Antique Armor Trade”:

http://samuraipodcast.com/ep51-shady-ethics-in-the-Japanese-antique-armor-trade-p1

Regards,

Richard

• Like 1

Absolon talking about Shady Ethics. Lol.

I'm currently having a talk with Momiyama-san on Facebook. He sold this armour to Trevor and by if magic, it grew gold mons on the mune-ita and kote-tekko. The Katchu world has its bullshitters just like any other community I guess and where money is involved items get changed all the time to make them more expensive and desirable. Amazing how this armour gained an instant provenance.

In saying that I've done this for clients in the past, added Mon, maki-e moustaches etc. One dealer had me paint a maki-e Hige on a menpo, I charged him £270.00 and then he sold it for thousands and emailed me to rub it in.

All the work I do now is fully transparent with a photographic record on my website. I'm done making dishonest greedy dealers money.

57595550_1218371131678438_2314098696565857604350_1218362331679318_88072327414446

57852369_1218632694985615_19608688093424

58380772_1218644104984474_84895103581746
So the Kabuto is now completely married to the armour because the Mon are now featured throughout.

This should be a lesson for others that a Gusoku can be created, just match the odoshi and add some mon. 

• Like 3

Outch... indeed, this happens many times.

I agree Dave that important restorations should be documented.

Apart from that, is is an educatioal podcast.

It allways comes to rule nr one: study on the subject, use your eyes, and don’t believe too beautifull stories easily.

• Like 1

A lot of dealers are not as knowledgable as we may think. They are not trained as katchushi and have very little idea of what can actually be altered to create a more desirable piece, so in some cases, they sell items on face value. Others commission such things and their deception is by design. The armour above was listed in a famous auction house, the description was based upon the fabricated provenance which has now become a reality. 

As I said above, every restoration that I conduct is now fully transparent and documented on my Social media and website, I reject commissions where the owner will not allow this. In my view restoring an armour is akin to having a sword polished, fitting a new koshirae etc, nothing to be ashamed about saving a historic piece.

Also in Japan, the onus is on the buyer to know what they are buying, I purchased a kabuto from kinokuina some 20 years ago and it turned out to be patched with car filler. As collectors, we get rolled at times. I know of many high-end collections that have fakes purchased from Japan. I also know most of the dealers that like to deceive you as they have approached me to create things for them. I also know that because most of the katchushi will not indulge them they are using all sorts of modern materials themselves in-house which is a form of vandalism. Any gimp can use car filler, spray paint and lace an armour incorrectly. 

It's a dirty industry. Completely normal when cash is on the table.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..