Japanese Blade from Court

Promo

Wonderful story, and more to come when we see the blade in all its glory, having been taken in loving hand by its Japanese family. I am not going to allow myself to feel jealous (grrrr....) as I know that there are other amazing stories out there waiting for people. :thumbsup:

But this is a very good one indeed! Thank you for this, Georg.

On 10/3/2020 at 10:04 AM, Geraint said:

My imagination is working over time on what your sword looks like now, can't wait to to see pictures when it returns to you.  Are you planning on having the koshirae restored as well?  Given the age of the sword this is most likely it's original outfit.

Hi Geraint, I did get to see a few snapshots, but since they are of rather poor quality and additional aren't mine (hence no rights to do anything with them at all) I will not post them here. To my amateur eyes the polish looks great, but who am I to give evaluations on nihonto. Re koshirae, as you can see with the first images the "koshirae" consisted of tsuka, habaki and tsuba. Neither of the three were sent to Japan since the tsuka is missing parts and badly damaged, the tsuba is not very special and not in best condition either. Plus the habaki was anyway already replaced by a double gold habaki.

I do feel that it's more likely that a complete novice will find a genuine high ticket item than all the collectors out there looking for the next Kiyomaru. 

It's the circles that they move in you see. 

We are looking at stuff others have already seen. This gentleman went out of the usual haunts of nihonto enthusiasts and that's where your likely to find the odd treasure. However it's a thin pool. 

I think it will appear on the market once its value is determined. 

Probably through Darcy. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 8:51 AM, Promo said:

Short update: the blade finished polish (by Saito Tsukasa, a Mukansa polisher), now carries a double gold habaki and has a new shirasaya. It will now go to NBTHK for papering again.

Promo I'm curios as to how deep your pockets were when you first found this sword. 

You have been encouraged to spend high sums of money but clearly its a very small gamble for you but you must now be into this sword for what €4000??

What was the approximate financial appraisal of this sword once completed and highest papers achieved? 

I mean if its not considered rude what do you think your final outlay will be and recovery from selling the sword? 

I'm just starting this journey myself. 

• Downvote 1

Adam - go through the entire thread before posting. This is a rare form Masayuki. It will likely achieve Juyo. His outlay is not €4K as a solid gold habaki is usually 3-4K and Saito san is probably the most expensive polisher in Japan currently. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Adam, at this point I do not want to speak on any investments from my side. I do not know the final costs myself (yet), I do not know what the value is when fully restored and papered, I'm only following what I'm being recommended to do by experts, so why discuss something like this? I have received help from this forum and several members in particular, by giving feedback to the current status and additional information I got I try to give some of this help back. That is the reason why I keep this thread alive. So even if the numbers Michael quoted are correct, wouldn't that be my problem what I'm investing in a hobby and as long as I'm happy with it, all should be fine? And finally, it is a bit weird if not rude for you to assume I would only do this for financial benefit and that you are sure it will be put on the market. Several times within this thread I made it clear that a) I can afford all of what so far was done plus b) I don't have the financial need to sell this item and I'm looking forward to the day I'll get it back. While my background surely is not the same of a person who dedicated centuries of his life to the study and collecting of Nihonto, I still can appreciate workmanship and give it a warm and good home as long as I am happy and pleased with it.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Georg, please do not fret over this incident. You are doing the right thing for the sword and following sound advice. 
As Bob said, thank you for keeping all of us updated about your exciting journey. We await the next instalment and hopefully some good photos with eager trepidation. 

Good luck. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Georg thank you for sharing this wonderful journey your on that all of us envy. I've really enjoyed the progress from the beginning and really looking forward to seeing lots of pics when your treasure is returned to you. I hope you have koshirae made for it too but not as important as what you've had done already. Congratulations on such an amazing enrty into the Nihonto world.

Brian well done steering this along.

Long live Nmb.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Wow, I hadn't been back to this thread for a long time, and what a story. Happy for you Georg! A Kiyomaro is like finding the Grail! The only bad thing is these kinds of things never happen to me! :laughing:

• Like 1

He did say, he wouldn't sell it, if it doesn't get papered.  I hope we get to see it, before it is gone. Swords of this caliber  (juyo)  are well known amongst  sword dealers in Japan.  I was wondering if Darcy or Paul Martin are aware of your good fortune.  I would use either one to submit  my swords for shinsa.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments, feels like home if people here are happy with me and not envious of what I had stumbled upon like it happened elsewhere. I'm myself highly looking forward to post pictures of the blade once I have it back! And Tom Darling, no worries, there are not plans from my side to sell it - I'm keen myself to hold it in hands. Yes, Darcy is aware of this blade, in fact he even contacted me when I originally had posted here. He also offered to do the work, but since that would had meant that I'd had to consign the blade finally with him for sale, I decided to use someone else. Despite following recommendations by more experienced persons than myself I prefer to always have full control over it, plus I would never let myself get in the situation to be forced to part with something.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So, Jacques, you found one atari that is different? Surely you can do better! 

If you look into the shape, it is quite rare and not the typical one forgers usually counterfeit. Also, Masayuki went through a period when he made this particular configuration of sword in that period of time. He was into naginata / nagamaki in his creative period in 1843-1844. He occasionally returned to that sugata in 1850 too. But here we are close enough to period and signature. 

2 hours ago, Gakusee said:

So, Jacques, you found one atari that is different? Surely you can do better! 

If you look into the shape, it is quite rare and not the typical one forgers usually counterfeit. Also, Masayuki went through a period when he made this particular configuration of sword in that period of time. He was into naginata / nagamaki in his creative period in 1843-1844. He occasionally returned to that sugata in 1850 too. But here we are close enough to period and signature. 

I've yet to see a single example with this atari in that way on a papered sword (NBTHK) signed Masayuki or Kiyomaro  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well done, Georg, congratulations. There were some doubts at the beginning but these got majorly dispelled when Tanobe sensei looked at it, and as we started looking at it more closely with examples of that period. Now, with Tanobe sensei’s blessing and the NBTHK shinsa attestation, I think you should aim for Juyo later this year. But please try to get it polished if possible before then. It is very tight timing-wise and you really need good friends in Japan who can pull some favours for a last minute squeeze in. 

John & Chris, thanks for the compliments!

Christopher, don't worry - Oshigata and professional pictures were already "ordered". They finally are something to then share in here too.

Michael, the blade is already polished. It was sent to Japan, Tanobe confirmed signature being authentic, then submitted to NBHTK Shinsa where it was also confirmed original, but papers will only be issued to blade in polish. Therefore it got a double gold habaki, shirasaya and was polished by Saito, submitted again for December shinsa where the result now was Tokubetsu Hozon paper achieved. So all done. Not sure if I should submit it to Juyo though, would mean another year in Japan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Well done, Georg, what a journey. If Saito san polished it, it must be stunning like a jewel now. He is one of the very-top polishers currently. If you leave it there, yes it is another year (as it might get exhibited too) but probably worthwhile. In this hobby unfortunately sometimes years pass before we see our treasured possessions.

Frankly, even with “only TH” people in the know could judge the quality and understand that it is Juyo level. And if you do not intend to sell it or brag around that it is Juyo, then you know it is the same sword whether it is TH or Tokubetsu Juyo. 
This is one of these rare stories of serendipity that make people here happy and hopeful. Please continue sharing with us. Thank you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1