Beautiful tsuba, but who is Touryuusai? is it a modern tsuba?

terminus

Just the way they are these days. I've seen a few were they simply noted "kao" and left it at that.

It's because there are quite a few unidentified kao, not only are there a large number of late Tanaka workers...there's also the matter of others, not affiliated, working in the style.

-S-

I like the tsuba, it looks late, but of the Toryusai it didn't start until late 19th century anyways. A good source for the school is Tosogu Classroom Vol. 2 author Fukushi Shigeo translator Markus Sesko. Of the "Tanaka" tsuba I've seen in hand they seem to have a distinctive warm brown hammered iron and lack a seppa dai. Nunome zogan (inlay) and ko sukashi were also kantei points to the school. But, many styles and finishes were produced even back to Kiyotoshi....   

• Like 1

A good source for the school is Tosogu Classroom Vol. 2 author Fukushi Shigeo translator Markus Sesko.  

You beat me to it.

I'm not very knowledgeable about this school. Last night, I found myself reading up on it in Tosogu Classroom Vol. 2 and thinking to recommend it here.

As StevenK said, there are quite many students. I had not realized how many until seeing the treechart in Markus' work.

Vol 1 and 2 are some of my best book purchases, and I look forward to Vol. 3 very much.

Markus' translations have immensely helped Fittings collecting end of the hobby.

Like set intro texts to learning any foreign language, the books for the first year or two are simple to refine to:  Haynes' Torigoye Translation, Markus' Tosogu Classroom translations, and the Haynes Index.

Here is what I think is a more typical Toryusai school tsuba - larger than their typically smaller size and mokko shape, but school iron, nunome zogan, small hitsu and no seppa dai.

I had bought it as Tanaka, papered as such, then sold it. .

post-2371-0-33286000-1554700404_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-04917300-1554700459_thumb.jpg

Well, well...

Funny enough, I've bought this tsuba more then 2 years ago. So the web site "selling" it - belongs I guess to one of the galleries selling mirages. But never mind.

I was always thinking it is more Goto Ichijo school work rather then Toryusai. It reminds me Funada Ikkin somehow. Having dozens of Tanaka school tsuba can not see much in common. 

Though I accept that it can be 20C Toryusai school work - know nothing about this period of the school. 

My idea is that it was a daisho, and the second tsuba was signed. I tried the Haynes books to find the kakihan, but it appeared too hard. 

Then I decided to try the shinsa team. I've sent it last summer for TH without the Hozon paper it has. And they gave the same verdict to it - Hozon, Toryusai school. So the circle is closed.

Hope one day I will find the signed pair for it.

I attach some better photos of it.

post-3360-0-97212800-1554803852_thumb.jpg

post-3360-0-45026900-1554803868_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Well, well...

Funny enough, I've bought this tsuba more then 2 years ago. So the web site "selling" it - belongs I guess to one of the galleries selling mirages. But never mind.

I was always thinking it is more Goto Ichijo school work rather then Toryusai. It reminds me Funada Ikkin somehow. Having dozens of Tanaka school tsuba can not see much in common.

Though I accept that it can be 20C Toryusai school work - know nothing about this period of the school.

My idea is that it was a daisho, and the second tsuba was signed. I tried the Haynes books to find the kakihan, but it appeared too hard.

Then I decided to try the shinsa team. I've sent it last summer for TH without the Hozon paper it has. And they gave the same verdict to it - Hozon, Toryusai school. So the circle is closed.

Hope one day I will find the signed pair for it.

I attach some better photos of it.

Oh wow, this is really good to know. So I’m assuming that site is a scam of some sort?

I was thinking it looks like a Gotō Ichijō tsuba too by the shape and flush inlays. Thanks for the photos, looks beautiful and the surface sheen is very unique!

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..