Shishi kozuka.. restoration?

Peter Bleed

Friends,

I got this kozuka out a couple of days ago when we had been asked to describe great finds. I think this fittingcan be discribed in those terms. I found it in box marked "Letter Openers, $1 each" at a local flea market.

Those 7 shishi sure look like gold so I didn't even try to beat him down.

But here's the problem. In addition to grinding away most of a nice Mino no Kami Masatsuna kogatana. I'm afraid that previous owner may have superglued the ko-gatana into the kozuka. Does anyone have advice on removing seriously impacted kozuka blades ?

Peter

post-338-0-18521800-1553650851_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

As mentioned, acetone will dissolve super glue, whether it will harm the patination of the shakudo, I am not certain.  From the photo it looks as if it needs professional attention to put it in good order,  if the Shishi are indeed gold it warrants the investment.  I'd ask Ford's opinion. 

-S-

Never done it myself, but do understand that letting it sit in boiling water (maybe best to use a double boiler?) can sometimes free these up, especially if they are glued in with pitch, which was apparently the old school way to fasten them.  

Well, darn! The NMB has done it again. I used  hot water and  lots  light wiggling and finally got the blade out. Thank you all for the advice.

Frankly, although I've had this old soldier for several years, I have never given it much regard. It wears traces of misuse, but golly, it has a nice gilded back. Goto?

Peter

post-338-0-15352600-1553786098_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..