our former JAS member Eric Tulin passed away last week, after a long and demanding desease.

May he finally rest in peace.

My deepest condoleances in the name of the Japanese Armor Society for his loved ones.

Wow. I had no idea he was ill. Condolences to all who knew him.
Eric (posting as estcrh) has a contentious history here and with Japanese armour. But he always provided an alternative view on things, and was big into research. He maintained a large Pinterest archive on Japanese armour.
RIP Eric, hope you find peace.

• Like 3

I had such a feeling.....

As I met him once in Florence, we talked almost an hour about mankind and the whole world. You couldn’t have found a better match Luc!

My condolences. It wasn’t an age.....

RIP Eric!

• Like 1

Eric and I often crossed swords over matters of copyright, yet bonded closely over other more personal matters. He was certainly one of life's genuine characters with what must have been one of the largest image databases in the world. You name it and Eric would pull out images of it. AS others have said, a face to face meeting was a delight. Gosh, I will miss him.

Ian Bottomley 

• Like 1

Eric called me up a few weeks ago and we overcame our feud. We talked for many hours, at the end of the air was clear, we joked and remembered the best of the old days.
He said to me "I have cancer", I asked how bad? He joked the type that kills you.

Eric and I crossed swords on many occasions, he was always concerned about the community and it was him that urged me to launch the samurai armour forum, he truly had the collector at heart.
He hated the manipulation of others, the social climbers and those that would use groups or other vehicles to prey on others for personal gain, for that I will honour his memory and also relate that some of the people commented here he despised to the grave. He asked me to open up all the social media pages that I run so that everyone would be able to see inside. I did this for him, no secrets or restricted information to selected members. Something now that maybe all should take on board to remember him by? We are only here for a short time, maybe Eric's departure can become symbolic that we all need to pull up our socks and work together and become one family again in the katchu world.

Good luck with your travel Eric to the other side, we will see you again one day in Katchu Heaven, or Katchu Hell depending on which bus Fudo is driving.

What a pity we have lost him. 

55788414_10155984582802190_7363541577236

• Like 6

Like with others, Eric was not shy, or a wilting flower. He could give as much as he would take. He was passionate about open sharing of information. Much like Anthony Bryant, he will be missed, and the many other communities online he visited. He was not isolated to Japanese art and armor, he had a wide and diverse passion. He will be missed by many, and I do hope he has found the peace he so deserved.

ゆく河の流れは絶えずして、しかも、もとの水にあらず。淀みに浮かぶうたかたは、かつ消えかつ結びて、久しくとどまりたるためしなし

• Like 2

Simon,  I had contact with his widow earlier this week, I also sent her a link to this page.

Luc, I hope you warned her about the Katchu Sharks that may try to eat Eric's collection cheaply.

Eric asked me to help safeguard his collection and assist with a valuation, I agreed to help him but he fell sick before I could help.

Please let his wife know that the offer still stands so that Eric's treasures are not undersold.

If she is reading this page then please feel free to contact me, I do not want to buy anything, but I will help you for free.

• Like 8

I'm also willing to help, in addition to Dave. I am in Indiana, and can be of help, if desired.

justin@alexander-grant.com is my email.

Most of us will face this same situation, where we leave collections of esoteric items that are worth large sums of money, and a spouse that has to figure out how to deal with it.

• Like 4

That's really nice of you as well Justin. You know we all have had a punch-up at one time or another. We threw him off the Samurai Armour Forum, he was removed from The Japanese Armour Society after only three weeks in, so this really reflects on the quality of the people within our community in that we will look out for each other when it's really needed.

I've also reached out to Trevor Absolon, Eric was a big fan of Trevor and was somewhat of a driving force on the net to help promote his books, so I've asked him to help Eric's family.

Sad news indeed.

Eric had a way to voice his opinions that didn’t always hit home, but he made a huge contribution to the community in collecting every picture available on the net, connected to Japanese arms and armor.

Condolences to his large family.

Your pain from your illness is now forever gone. May you rest in peace.

Anthony

• Like 3

I have personally seen how quickly the vultures circle after an art collector passes. So always worth reaching out to a family and reminding them not to do anything rushed at all, and that there are people out there that can assist way down the line when it is time. Let's leave it at that on the subject.
Another point: This and other incidents shows how quickly people we know can be taken. And it is a reminder that it is never a bad thing to try and patch up rough seas between acquaintances. It is terrible to think afterwards how we should have sorted out ill feelings. Maybe time for people to have amicable discussions and try and at least have a truce, while we are around and able to. We lost quite a few members the past year or 2. Reach out now while you can guys.

• Like 14

I received next message from Eric’s wife Rachel:

“I just saw all the posts on the forums, and it was really touching! Please do tell everyone, thank you, and I really appreciate their kind messages for my Eric.

Rachel”

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

When I was very new to collecting he was one of the people I initially studied with. He allowed me to look at a great many very good blades. Over and over every time I saw him. Which back then was frequent. He also showed me more armor than I’ve ever seen in one place. Some stuff that may have made it to museums and lots that wouldnt have. Because much of it had been used and had battle scars to prove that use. Chain mail from different periods. He was fascinating to sit and talk with. I think we each taught each other a good bit as we respectively learned our interests better. He mentioned Ian and piers a lot.

I’ll miss him

I missed catching up with him on my last trip to Nola

I wish him an easy journey to whatever is next

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..