Before And After

nagamaki - Franco

Great results, the fog has lifted.  Gorgeous piece Franco, as Brian notes more pics would be welcome, entire blade, tang.....you've just went our appetites.

-S-

Now Boys and Girls let's talk sharpening...

> you've just went our appetites.

Steven I presume you meant wet, but I didn't start this to castigate you on that small typo.  No.  I'm simply wondering if in this usage the correct word is to whet  our appetites, as in sharpening a sword...

Lovely sword Franco, looking forward to more pictures.

Bestests,

BaZZa.

• Like 1

Good Morning All,

Please eat and drink slowly as unfortunately this piece is not papered and mumei. Besides, a rush to the nakago would only spoil things.

There was a time when this piece would have already been on its way to Japan for shinsa. And maybe one day it will be. But for now (it's possible that I've mellowed with age), a study piece. Perhaps more later Questions welcomed. 

Details: 

Shape: 6.1" or 15.5 cm long; Omote; hira zukuri; Ura; (low) katakiri-ba with horimono; moto haba ~13.5 mm, moto kasane 6 mm, saki kasane 4 mm; mitsu-mune, uchi zori. 

Ji-gane: Omote; tight itame with ji-nie; Ura; tight itame with ko nie and a narrow band of nie utsuri just above the hamon.

Hamon: Omote; ko nie deki, notare with some gunome and ashi extending down to ha; Ura; ko nie deki, notare mixed with midare.

Boshi: Omote; jizo, short turn back; Ura; ko-maru, short turn back

Thank you (also in advance) for your comments.

Edited by nagamaki - Franco

It is just so unusual, how do you kantei it?
I really like it though. It feels more modern...Shinshinto. But has more interesting hatari that suggest older. I'm stumped. Sent it my way for a few years so I can have a good look? :glee:

• Like 1

Looks like a yoroi toshi to me.  Maybe had a bonji in the tang (unusual) that was drilled with the large filled nakago ana.  As to age, hard to tell.  The copper in the nakago ana (nakago ana gane?) appears to have been cleaned at some point.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..