Is Anybody In Massachusetts Looking For Adventure?

Peter Bleed

Last week while passing a wonderful couple of days at the Springfield Armory National Historic lLandmark, I discovered a trove of Japanese polearms that somebody in New England really should document. Like a lot of old museums, the Armory has fallen heir to some Japanese arms. I did not have time to see all of them, but I did see a group of yari (including a couple of jumonji-yari etc. all with saya and hadome) AND a matched pair (!) of nagamaki. I briefly looked at one of these, but I did not get to see the nakago. The blade “looked” pretty good, but it did not reveal much to me. It has an original old polish that deserves a cleaning and a close inspection. The blade had a hamon and was certainly more than daito length. It seemed to be set with 2 mekugi, one of which was filled with a brass fitting. I took that to mean that the weapon I saw could be ubu. The close match of the pair struck me as suspicious. I mean, could they be Meiji-era curtain rods? Bannerman was offering them for that purpose. But, full size ubu nagamaki are not at all common. They deserve inspection. Arranging to see them would take a bit of doing, but I found the Armory staff very positive. I’ll bet a wonderful session could be arranged to look at these blades. They could be very publishable.

Peter

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..