Translation Of Old Paper

jct3602

Sold by father back to Japan through John Yumoto around 1964-65.  Would like to know the details of the paper; know the signature is Kunisada 2 (Inoue Shinkai), but am interested in length, etc.  Any information would be appreciated.  Sorry for the orientation; flipped it 90 degrees and it still insisted on laying out this way.

yours, 

john twineham

post-1-0-17609600-1553238255_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-01749900-1553238259_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-77223600-1553238263_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

1st one is

真改前銘               Shinkai zen mei

井上和泉守国貞    Inoue Izumi-no-kami Kunisada

在銘                      Zaimei

時代寛文頃           Jidai Kanbun koro

七年八月日           Shichi nen Hachi gatsu-no-hi

長貮尺四寸有之    Nagasa 2 shaku 4 sun ari

正真也                  Shōshin nari

• Like 6

2nd one (with some questions) is

代金子五百枚                       Dai kinshi 500 mai
右鑑 白水(花押)         Migi kantei Hakusui (kaō)
昭和?拾五年七月廿八日     Showa ? 15?, July 28th
日本刀研究白水會                Nihontō Research Hakusui-kai
會長伊波白水                        Kaichō Inami Hakusui

I have never heard of this group, the "Nihontō Research Hakusui-kai". When I do a search for it, I get nothing. I'm also not exactly sure of the kanji after Shōwa, or if it is Shōwa (something) 5, or Shōwa (something) 15, but I'm guessing its Shōwa 15. 

Edit: The appraiser is Inami Hakusui (real name Inami Tomijirō), an author and key figure in the post-war sword appreciation community. If I'm not mistaken he or his sons also owned a sword shop on Aoyama street in Tokyo. The building their sword shop used to be in has recently been torn down, and replaced with a new building. 
  • Like 5

Thanks to all, and SteveM especially.  The blade also had a tsunagi and full set of mounts, although i have no memory of what the koshirae looked like.  Was interesting in that it was the only Inoue Shinkai katana I have heard of that had a horimono.  Given the amount it sold for, it was either genuine or a very expensive fake.

yours,

john twineham

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..