Yari Identification

nektoalex

What Grant said is the rule of thumb with yari: a short kerikubi (the bit between the blade and the tang) points to shinto rather than koto manufacture. My initial feeling from looking at this bit was shinto but, as Peter says the paper suggests late Muromachi jidai, so there is perhaps some discrepancy here.

The paper attributes this unsigned yari to a smith working in Yamato province called Kane (?). I can't find the second kanji in Markus Sesko's list of kanji used in swordsmiths' names and neither does he list a smith signing with this "Kane" kanji working in Yamato in the late Muromachi period. This isn't comprehensive research - just a quick flick through the sources I have to hand so please apply with a pinch of salt, however, suffice it to say that my suspicions would be aroused by this. 

It doesn't look like the dimensions of the spear are recorded on the paper either which seems odd and so it is hard to judge the item and papers in this context. The rubbing of the tang does appear to be from the spear, but this could have been changed relatively easily. 

I can't make out the name of the organisation that issued the paper so, again this would be a detractor from my point of view: knowing who issued it and what weight to give to their opinion would help. 

Given this, (if you are buying) I would be suspicious of the seller or at least treating the item as an unsigned, unpapered shinto yari and mentally adjust the price for these factors and proceed, or not, accordingly.

• Like 3

Thanks for the help! That is, this paper is not one of the standard documents that can accompany the subject, given the lack of a signature and the name of the organization and the size of the subject, which I understand are required for such documents that are regulated by certain rules?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..