Brexit Issues, Anyone Else?

It is very odd, I was refused yesterday by a seller in Belgium; he would not sell me his gendaito gunto because I wanted delivery to the UK. He said that he was worried that Customs would seize the item!! Nothing I could do or say would change his mind. I have seen some other signs of this Brexit thing elsewhere. For example, the site www.Antique-Swords.eu is no longer, it is now www.Antique-Swords.com (.com not .eu), and they are very clear for the reasons. Has anyone else had difficulties because of Brexit?

Think your Belgium seller is hitting the panic button a little early. Even if he were walking and swimming he could get a sword here before 29th. As things stand it may (no pun intended) be delayed by at least several months while they continue to run round in circles in Westminster. Hopefullly their ever decreasing circles will result in many of them dissappearing up their own ****s and the rest of us can start having sensible discussions and way forward.

• Like 6

I tried to buy some 7mm pinfire revolvers from England last week... was getting a pair of them for $200USD. It was a steal practically; they were both in need of some TLC. But then the seller informed me he couldn't ship to the US! I was so very angry! I had already gotten ahold of some shells, parts, and a reloading kit. The shells alone are $20-25USD!

Needless to say, I am extremely pissed off about that. I wonder if Brexit had anything to do with their apparently even more draconian export laws the seller cited as the issue.

Chris

I think it is more likely to be the carrier than customs. We have had huge problems with FeDex regarding shipping swords in the UK and now the main shipper parcelforce subcontract their top service to FeDex so have the same issues.

We are getting close to the point where the government wont have to do anything because no shipping company will carry anything that remotely resembles a weapon

Anyhow it wont be a Brexit issue at the moment, it is too early for anything to have changed.

I

• Like 2

Maybe, Maybe not; it May or May not, whatever the pun, it will happen. The only problem is that no one is able to foresee what will happen after...

Brexit takes care of the separation between UK and EU but not of what will happen after, a lot of commercial/other agreements will have to be negociated and signed after, it will take time, maybe years meanwhile ...????

That’s why I’m asking. Personnally, I don’t see it happening, everyone, has to much to lose in that game, but politicians are a stubborn kind and who knows what will come out of their convoluted brains...

Hello, Mark,
Brexit is absolutely no problem right now and I doubt it will for a while. So in the case of your gendaito the dealer had no reason not to ship it. Anyway the merchandise has been paid for and the procedure of clearing customs is always the problem of the buyer.

Chris, the revolver deal had nothing to do with Brexit. Pinfire(Lefaucheux) revolvers are normal guns in most Euopean countries and require a certain export procedure which might be a nuisance for the seller.
 Exporting from the EU to an non-EU country, like Switzerland or the US, involves a lot of running around and paperwork in Germany. You need an export declaration for any type of antique, regardless of value, plus an export license for swords because any blade exceeding 30cm, falls under the weapons law and is thus treated like a firearm. Shippers officially need a license to transport swords.

Many dealers (like myself) do not generally export anymore outside the EU, unless the buyer is willing to pay for the additional expenses.

On the other hand shipping within the EU is absolutely no problem. Most courier services have a network with fellow shippers all over Europe. If I call my German courier,  he picks up the sword the next day and the day after it is being delivered to the buyer anywhere in Europe and for a fair price!

Best, Martin

As Jean did post it out already...."Maybe, Maybe not; it May or May not, whatever the pun, it will happen".

i had this all thematics in last 2 months myself....finally did refuse so to sell a pair of menuki a British collector did want to buy-

equally but had to cancel some buy i was willing me to purchase from Britain.....

this all is eitherway not thrustworthy any longer for me....

Stupid Politicians running around Westminster, not knowing what to do is sign enough for me!

i did shut this door, least for myself....may i sleep more calm in future.

Christian

• Like 1

Brexit was fumbled by the politicians, it should never been put to a vote the way it was rushed. I'm glad I got my planned shipments from the UK sorted last year. Before each vote whether Norway should join the EU, one in the 70s and last one in '94, there was a two year period of information from the authorities so people were somewhat informed when going to the booth beyond mostly populism from both camps.

I have to admit our politicians have not covered themsleves in glory but then again nether have those negotiating on the other side of the table. If they had taken the concerns expressed seriously before any referendum it might never have got to this farcical stage.

However what I find really dissappointing is the attitude expressed here. As said previously nothing has changed yet. For those outside the EU buying from the UK is likely to become easier not harder and for some time to come for those in the EU it will not change.

So the attitude of "I was planning to buy from the UK but now" is misplaced and more than a little timid

BTW just to be clear I was in the minority in this and wanted to remain in the EU so the comments above are not based on trying to defend what I regard to be the result of a stupid vote and mishandled campaign.

• Like 1

I don't think this has anything to do with Brexit. Justt he fact that pinfires are considered regular firearms in many countries, and it is not just as simple as posting them and saying they are antiques.
I would go to jail here for a pinfire without a license. Sending even antiques to the US from here requires lots of paperwork. I can't just walk into the US with a .41 Colt derringer and say it needs to papers.
I think the dealer is being cautious. Doesn't take much to land someone in a world of trouble nowadays.

Chris

I think it is more likely to be the carrier than customs. We have had huge problems with FeDex regarding shipping swords in the UK and now the main shipper parcelforce subcontract their top service to FeDex so have the same issues.

We are getting close to the point where the government wont have to do anything because no shipping company will carry anything that remotely resembles a weapon

Anyhow it wont be a Brexit issue at the moment, it is too early for anything to have changed.

I

True, and not to go off on a tangent, but the UK is becoming ridiculous  https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/asda-knives-bans-sale-removes-supermarkets-knife-crime-stabbings-a8815126.html

I have a sword with customs at the moment, such a worry these days.

Hey, UK guys, here in France we hear one day Brexit will happen, the next day it May (pun intended for me!) not, so what’s your opinion, there in UK?

You know as much as anyone this side of the Channel. The UK Government and Members of Parliament are doing their best to stitch up a situation where it either doesn't happen or happens in name but isn't substantially different from how things stand currently. My money would be on the second situation following an extension of the March 29th deadline but who knows.

You know as much as anyone this side of the Channel. The UK Government and Members of Parliament are doing their best to stitch up a situation where it either doesn't happen or happens in name but isn't substantially different from how things stand currently. My money would be on the second situation following an extension of the March 29th deadline but who knows.

So, the Norwegian way, right? I’ve read that so far, a second referendum is out of the question, still I wonder why it garners so much opposition as, clearly, the first one was based on false assertions. With that in mind, are the British politicians really carrying out the will of the people or their own?...

So, the Norwegian way, right? I’ve read that so far, a second referendum is out of the question, still I wonder why it garners so much opposition as, clearly, the first one was based on false assertions. With that in mind, are the British politicians really carrying out the will of the people or their own?...

There was some British envoys in Norway a few weeks back to probe at this and see what they could learn, but I dont think it will end up quite the same.

Norway is outside the EU yet have full access to the market, it's a very good deal. Afaik what our government told the English is to not expect the same deal as Brussels, understandably, does not wish to give the impression one can leave the union yet still benefit from its perks.

Brexit was fumbled by the politicians, it should never been put to a vote the way it was rushed. I'm glad I got my planned shipments from the UK sorted last year. Before each vote whether Norway should join the EU, one in the 70s and last one in '94, there was a two year period of information from the authorities so people were somewhat informed when going to the booth beyond mostly populism from both camps.

I have ordered a big delivery of Bovril, just in case  :rotfl:

• Like 1

I have not a minimum of doubt that the brexit will be a non event. GB will stay with us in the european community and will be a great member further. I follow every debate in the parliament live. The speaker is very good and make every debate a nice looking event.  :thumbsup:

Btw: If you follow all the debate you will notice that even not the most british people will leave the EU. James Cameron makes a very stupid decission and May is the one who must cary that Oni on her shoulders. Farage who screams Brexit was the first who runs away and Johnson sit in the last row and make strange comments. That is a shakespeare theatre at is best.

Haha you are right. But I'm every day with my friends from that great country.

You are not alone, Chris.

God save the Queen. It is amazing and sad how this country... I will leave it... and listen to Elgar's March No.1 and weep for Britain. Elgin's March and God save the Queen/King is as mine as Het Wilhelmus, la Marseillaise or the Deutschlandlied... as are all the others. I am European and immensely proud of it.

Apologies for getting emotional... These are hard times for Europeans.

Don’t you dare forget Marmite and lukewarm ales (which I love, BTW)

As a proud Australian I have to point out that you haven't tried NUTHIN' until you've tried full-blown Vegemite.  Aussie kids cut their teeth on it!!!  When I was a growing kid my Dear Mother used to say "Don't put so much Vegemite on your bread/toast!".  I would always reply "Mother, its a food not a flavouring agent..."

BaZZa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..