Namban Tsuba Or Fake !

Dan tsuba

• 2 years later...

Hello all (again!).

So, about 3 years later from my initial post I finally found the same item on the internet (shown below). It is badly corroded and was listed as being from 1900 -1940.  During that 3-year intervening period I found where this item could be a “diplomatic presentation medallion” that was given as a token from Chinese diplomats to Japanese diplomats.  That makes sense.  Although it could also be a junk tourist piece.  But due to the fact that I have seen only one other, maybe not.  And way back in 2019 SteveM translated the saying on the back (shown in my initial posting) of the (possible) medallion (thanks again Steve!).  I find that saying very unique!

Just thought I would add this information incase anybody else encountered this piece or someone that has questions about it.

With respect,

Dan

• Name: SteveM

Posted March 10, 2019

Interesting. Not quite what I expected. You got the kanji right.

鬼手仏心

Demon Hand, Buddha Heart

It refers to an act of kindness or mercy that requires decisive, steady action.

https://kotobank.jp/word/%E9%AC%BC%E6%89%8B%E4%BB%8F%E5%BF%83-473697

Chinese diplomatic medallion.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..