Large Shin Gunto

PNSSHOGUN

• 4 months later...

I just had a scan through this post on longer than usual gunto and OA mounts and (I think) the focus has been Type 94/98 blades/.mounts....I put one back there too of my longest RJT blade of 27 7/16" or 69.8 cm in a Type 98 (OA 1 metre - 39.5 inches) .

Just to mention that the RS can be quite long also  here is a blade by RJT smith Masakazu (private order/no star) made 17/4.

The OA is 1.040 cm (40 in) and blade is 69.5 cm (27 3/8 in).

This is not too heavy - scabbard is lacquered wood, quite light...this is the longest RS blade and mount I have seen....must be longer ones out there?

Regards,

Edit to add an hour later:

Just happened to be looking at the book YASUKUNI TO p.72, and it mentions (c.1937?) that the "military authorities issued a request to the (Yasukuni) Foundation to reduce the weight of the Yasukuni-to, as the earlier swords proved too heavy a burden for soldiers on a long march".

Wonder why the top end of the RJT weights and lengths was greater than the Yasukuni scheme, even though the Yasukuni had already had requests to lighten its blades....?

Just thought I'd mention it.

masakazu OA bright.jpg

masakazu OA bright blade.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..