Thoughts On Recent Purchase Gendaito

Rei Sinn

Rei-

Your blade has similarities in the yasurime to some of the Emura blades I have seen, such as this one: https://www.aoijapan.net/katana-emura-saku-3/

Here is a link to a search on sold items from AOI Art for “Emura” in case the link doesn’t work for you: https://www.aoijapan.net/?s=Emura&x=0&y=0

I am no expert, just merely suggesting the similarities since no one has mentioned Emura yet. I hope this helps you with your research. Good luck!

Mark

Fascinating parallel! I feel like this would be unique for an Emura tachi. Now I'm off to sift through Emura references.

Thanks for the lead Mark!

Fascinating parallel! I feel like this would be unique for an Emura tachi. Now I'm off to sift through Emura references.

Thanks for the lead Mark!

You are most welcome Rei. Another item to consider: look closely and notice how the initial cut on the different angles of the yasurime is deep on (some but not all) of the Emura signed blades. Compare yours and see if there are similarities and also look at the nakago mune and see if the deep initial cut is present there. I’m not saying that if the deep initial cut on the yasurime is or is not present it makes it an Emura, rather that since your blade is unsigned details like that can help you develop a more complete picture. Small details usually matter.

Hope it helps.

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Rei,

Have you any idea what it will cost for a polish and saya? I would send pic of the whole nakago to the NBTHK for their opinion, before any action.

Tom D.

Tom-

My guess is a proper polish would probably be about five to six times what I originally invested in it. If it truly is an Emura it would probably be worth it even though I'm partial about it being an Emura blade. In my opinion, the blade seems like a mishmosh of Yamashiro style with Enju school emulation and modified Bizen features. For me it's a real head scratcher since I've never seen an example of any gendai that looks like this, even in Emura blades for that matter. I assume NBTHK would probably want the whole picture?

First of all this is a nice swod as I said earlier. Next it remains in okay condirion. There is no active rust ... Ha,on and Hada are visible. Getting it polished in Japan (!) and papered would cost you more than a sined Emura goes for. So keep it as it is ... and you can get a NTHK oppinion in the states while I personally doubt they would be able to pin it down precisely. It could be an Emura - or some other Gendai smith. It is what its is: A nice, qualiyt sword.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..