Some Pistols

Peter , I met you many years ago at the show in Chicago. You had a display of swords and I enjoyed seeing them ( they were fantastic ). I started with swords and then added armor , then matchlocks , and finally Tsuba ( I am a late comer to ML's and Tsuba. I guess I love the history of it so it makes it easier for me to appreciate it as a whole. It would be a better collection if I had focused more.

All nice generic pistols.

Bottom left, the stock is relatively newer, more recent. The metal parts may well be original though. It is shaped in imitation of Inoué Ryu school of gunnery, of which your bottom right is a proper example.

Top left, my instinct is telling me it has been cut short for some reason.

The light and angle do not really allow for more to be said at present.

It is so difficult to find decent original pistols, even in Japan. Quite surprising to see what you have there!

Congratulations!

Tried to lighten it up a bit. Will this work?

post-416-0-99043500-1550799600_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

There are a couple of difficulties with that signature, but in general we can say that is a good example of a Sakai Enamiya pistol.

摂州住 榎並屋助左(右?)衛門X作

Sesshu Ju Enamiya Suke-zaemon(uemon?) X Saku

N.B. The writing is not very 'literary'.

Perhaps someone can clarify if 左/右 is Left or Right. If possible I will come back and edit in light of further comments.

Normally there are two (or three) Kanji characters for the last name below 門. I am not sure why there is only one, and the shot angle makes it difficult to read.

I cannot find an exact match in the smith list, but the House of Enamiya was famous, and this name is probably a 'Meikan-moré', i.e. an individual smith not yet discovered and recorded.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

How did I miss this thread???  Or did I simply forget??  Or was it a case of Gunnadoo???  Whatever, here is a pic of my bajou zutsu as a starter/teaser.  I'll put up more details when I have time from tasks at hand.  EDIT:  I do have a translation "somewhere"...

Bestests,

BaZZa.

post-671-0-31673500-1585223326_thumb.jpg

post-671-0-32681100-1585223356_thumb.jpg   post-671-0-62463000-1585223381_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice example BaZZA, but why put it in this thread? :)

Um, um, er...  Posts #2 and #4 suggested to me that some wanted to see varieties of pistol, so, voila, I put it here.  Never mind that I've been "gunner" put it up in a separate thread since I got it 1 1/2 years ago, but that's why my middle name is "Gunnadoo"..  I also thought without thinking that Gary G might like to see another and also to add to the variety Gary showed in one place.  Thus endeth the defence, though the Jury might say guilty as charged.  Might an acquittal be the surprise outcome??

BaZZa.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Alex,

A longish time ago someone put up a detailed diagram of a teppo to illustrate the name of parts of the gun.  Someone here may remember the thread exactly.  I see you are new here - can I suggest you familiarise yourself with the Search feature and go looking for teppo threads??  I have 5 teppo and some photos of lock internals.  I'll go hunt them out after dinner and TV viewing and send them to you.  Send me your email address by PM (Personal Mail - another nice feature of NMB) to save cluttering up the Board with surplus photos - unless their is a scream to put them here...

Best regards,

BaZZa

aka Barry Thomas

(Melbourne, Australia)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..