Inro Information Sought

hddennis

Hi Howard,

Well done, your Inro, Netsuke, and Ojime are all genuine.  The Inro decorated with tosogu is a popular motif of 19th century Japanese lacquerware, it is of fine quality.  Unfortunately, the damage, losses, and wear reduce it's value substantially.  The accompanying ivory Noh mask netsuke is of descent quality and collectable, as is the agate Ojime.   Sorry I can't help you on authentication of the signature, my reference  material is not at hand......someone else should come along.

Cheers,

-S-

Its a lovely inro. 

The name is hard to guess at since all of these kanji have multiple valid name readings. 保 as a last name is very rare (Tamotsu, Bō, Hotaka). 

保徳 (Yasutoku) also sounds like a plausible last name, but apparently there is nobody with that last name in Japan, so I guess the artist had the very rare single-kanji last name of 保. First name of 徳哉 could have any of a million different readings. 

All very close!

This is Hotoku(Sai), also known as 松寿 Shoju (the 13th in line) of Nara, working at the end of Edo. Mentioned in various sources; Hotoku is also read by Meinetzhagen in the MCI as Yasunori, Heisaburo, son of Shoju 12. (p.743, bottom left.)

PS Wrangham would give more detail but I do not have a copy here.

PPS Does anyone know if it is worth registering here?

http://carvers.netsuke.org.ru/search.php?w=all

• Like 2

Thanks so much to you all for helping me out. Others sources said it couldn't be translated or wasn't anything of merit. You have restored my faith in believing it's worthy of  keeping in my  collection. Please don't hesitate to post any other information from other sources as I don't have any of the books mentioned. I hereby give my permission to include these pictures and information in any lists or publications that might further study and historical research of these great art objects.

Howard Dennis

Steve, his name is listed on that site, (and in at least two other printed Netsuke works) so the probability is high that he made Netsuke, and equally high in my mind that he made lacquer Netsuke. When I clicked on his name though, a registration form appeared, at which point I stopped looking... .

Howard, I would recommend the Wrangham book if you like Inro and can find a copy. My daughter bought me one as a birthday present, so miracles sometimes happen. Wrangham's Index of Inro Artists

https://www.amazon.com/Index-Inro-Artists-Wrangham/dp/0952519445

Piers,

It's not surprising that he made lacquer netsuke, many inro makers did.  Wrangham's is a good reference, thank your daughter.  As for documenting the piece, perhaps Howard would like to provide the site with the pertinent information....I'm sure they would welcome it.

-S- 

• Like 1

Steve, his name is listed on that site, (and in at least two other printed Netsuke works) so the probability is high that he made Netsuke, and equally high in my mind that he made lacquer Netsuke. When I clicked on his name though, a registration form appeared, at which point I stopped looking... .

Howard, I would recommend the Wrangham book if you like Inro and can find a copy. My daughter bought me one as a birthday present, so miracles sometimes happen. Wrangham's Index of Inro Artists

Thanks, I just ordered the book.  Is the registering you mentioned able to be done by me if I only speak English? Can you give me a link to the site where artist is mentioned if it is in English?

I really appreciate your help with this,

Howard Dennis

Howard, the link to the CIS site (also in English) is in post #4 above. Years ago I heard that they were creating the largest Netsuke database in the world.

In the middle of the S section, Shoju XIII. If you click on it, you can choose your language, and then decide whether to register or not. It looks good, but I hesitated, preferring to see if anyone else might recommend it first. No-one did! Even so it looks fine.

The information in the MCI (Meinerzhagen) was quite minimal. You'll get more from your Wrangham. Good move!

• Like 1

Site says 2 left.  The buying price is fine, but the postage???!!!

$16.82 + $44.45 shipping - I'll try my local libraries...

BaZZa.

Howard, the link to the CIS site (also in English) is in post #4 above. Years ago I heard that they were creating the largest Netsuke database in the world.

In the middle of the S section, Shoju XIII. If you click on it, you can choose your language, and then decide whether to register or not. It looks good, but I hesitated, preferring to see if anyone else might recommend it first. No-one did! Even so it looks fine.

The information in the MCI (Meinerzhagen) was quite minimal. You'll get more from your Wrangham. Good move!

Thanks, no matter what I click on the CIS site it won't display English but shows what to me appears to be Russian?  Clicking on database says viewing is closed to public and not being able to read anything I can't figure out how to register. I've written administration to find out how to proceed, wish me luck!

The link you provide for book only charged me $22.27 total for shipping it in USA. Can't wait to see it.

Howard Dennis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..