O-Zutsu

I wanted share some images of my matchlocks. This one is 77 lbs and 44 inches. It is signed and mentions that it was made for a minor Daimyo. The silver inlay on the barrel translates into "reaching far away". I have not had it apart since I acquired it or I would provide images of the signed barrel.

Some candy for us tepponistas. Equipped with a solid breech (tobi no o) which is quite rare and only found on O-zutsu from 30 Monme and up. I’ve seen it on matchlocks from Yonezawa, Bizen and the island on Shikoku.

Hope you can open it up so might see if there is a signature present.

Jan

Ahhhh, a rare beauty.  Love the barrel plug - original to the gun, I wonder???  Never heard of tobi no o before.  Very interesting indeed.

Thank you for posting Gary, I really enjoyed seeing this.  In over 50 years of collecting I have only seen two o-zutsu and cannot remember the breech configuration.  Something new learned today.

BaZZa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..