Seiryuken Eiju

Dalva

Hello

I found an article about Seiryuken Eiju tsuba which sold for 10 k. So i started search more info on it. What I observed is the way mei written a bit unique for me who just learn Japanese although I understand Chinese character

Out of curiosity i found this tsuba with mei written Seiryuken Eiju so i bought it out of gambling and curiosity. Please tell me is this mei is original..if it fake its fine for me

Thx

Cheers

Dion

post-4833-0-57023600-1549635909_thumb.jpg

post-4833-0-25937900-1549636719_thumb.jpg

Thx Brian, noted on Seiryuken is an workshop not person. I bought this not because im looking for master piece nor that i create the thread to show off the Tsuba. I just want to know about the Mei if anyone hv info on it. Btw Its less than 100 dollar but the patina and corosion is correct. Its just me im always interested in corroded iron to study the patina and the quality of iron to some degree

As cast or not well i just bought it 45 min ago so the Tsuba not yet arrive therefore i cant really tell.

Regards

Dion

Hello Geraint

Out of habit i always look on patina and corrosion first. Iron its envitable to corrode, old age corrosion and patina its hard to duplicate. As for casting, well it is ancient methode to create thing out of iron ore.

So even if it is casting with correct patina and corrosion sud be fine for 100 dollar tsuba. In regard of iron if it from before 19th century and forged, it need to be from wrought iron material because no other material available at that period..Japan n perhaps the world still not knowing mild steel. I think this also linear with katana sword where the soft iron sud be wrought iron material.

This btw is my own methode to identify old and fake old. Even it is look old but the iron is mild steel then it is definetely from 20th century.

As for tsuba above i need to inspect it closely thats why i bought it. After this i also will buy wht being regarded as forged tsuba to see if it truly forge and using wrought iron material because it need to use wrought iron material. Its easy to test u just bend it until breaking point and see the iron grain.

At this point im still not in preservation mode (otherwise i will aim for masterpiece), right now im still in curiosity n learning process

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..