Iron Patina

Dalva

Hi guys

I found this Tsuba on ebay and i dont know is it because the picture or the patina is synthetic, but the collor a bit off to me. An original iron patina sud have some brown rust somewhere in the surface as the iron patina is actually a rust.

Tell me what u guys think and maybe we can discuss patina here. Apologize if the duscussion on iron patina already been posted before

Cheers

Dion

post-4833-0-67873200-1549612945_thumb.jpg

post-4833-0-02907700-1549612965_thumb.jpg

Dear Dion.

I agree with Brian on this one, the seppa dai is the give away, porous look, striations and blurred stokes to the kanji.  That, of course, would explain the difference in patina as what you are seeing is the skin of the casting.  If you haven't bought it then don't.

All the best.

• Like 1

.....An original iron patina should have some brown rust somewhere in the surface as the iron patina is actually a rust.....

Dion,

I think you have a wrong understanding of what patina can be. Please read a lot about this and have a look at pictures of really good iron TSUBA. Rust is Fe2O3 which we don't want on our TSUBA. Iron patina should be a stable coat of Fe3O4.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..