Copper Handle Nco

Shamsy

I have owned lots of these and variants.  It is as stated above a fake.  I also reported this one but ebay does not allow for a "this item is fake" in there reporting of an item format.  Ebay is complicit and doesn't care because the item is still up.  Lets just hope potential buyers would read this thread and be dissuaded from buying it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back to the original topic -  

The explanation by the man himself to explain the infamous sword that Steve shared the link to.  Someone can be that lucky person he mentions!  (ok, I am being sarcastic). 

Here is link:  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Easter to all here!

Just a quick update on this - most interesting thread.

Come across this yesterday...

The blade and scabbard are indeed Chinese reproductions,

He originally bought it back on 31st Jan for $685 from ebay. :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-WWII-WW2-Katana-NCO-Sword-w-Scabbard-Matching-numbers-/202575490435?hash=item2f2a70ad83%3Ag%3AqyAAAOSwylBcSme3&nma=true&si=latlyswWH9XXD%252BFGnh8E378J6gk%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

He also has this currently listed for sale twice now... as a prototype for  $3999 and as a rare piece for $2999. His Original asking price in March was $1999. 

Obviously he doesn't realise what he has bought and is now trying to resell, is rubbish.....just fishing for fools.

Also in all my years of collecting, i've never seen so many Type 98(and type 95) "wire" sarute as what he has got for sale.

I think he may have set up a jig and is recycling old fencing wire as some look very suspicious as well.

• Like 1

Good example Stegel! I've seen a few of these over the past couple of years with that same serial number, or range. I was thinking the faker was making multiple blades with the same number, but after reading your post, I see I might have just seen the same fake 2 or 3 times as it changed hands.post-3487-0-31873700-1555842953_thumb.jpg

I got out of collecting Iron Crosses and some other militaria because of guys like this.    It's sad that he paid 685 for this thing, but now looking for a new victim.   His series of youtube videos under his "callsign" aren't flattering to his cause (in my opinion).     Another person who shouldn't be allowed to use the term RARE in their own vocabulary.   

• Like 4

I got out of collecting Iron Crosses and some other militaria because of guys like this.    It's sad that he paid 685 for this thing, but now looking for a new victim.   His series of youtube videos under his "callsign" aren't flattering to his cause (in my opinion).     Another person who shouldn't be allowed to use the term RARE in their own vocabulary.   

Slight drift, but I’ve got an Iron Cross my grandfather took from a Luftwaffe pilot he recovered from the sea. He was a ML commander in the later stages of the war. What is there to look for, it seems pretty plain?

Matt - if you know the provenance like that (family recovery) I am sure your cross is good to go.   In the early days, 1st and 2nd EK awards weren't heavily faked. I collected the higher end stuff (knight's cross, German Cross, etc).  I look for flaws in maker's dyes, as some manufacturer's didn't survive the war (factory bombings) which helps.  A big challenge is that some of the iron cross (EK) makers of WW2 stayed in business after war as jewelers ...and post-war stuff gets sold as legit WW2.    I am still learning a lot about showa era sword production,  in my relatively short time with this superb forum group, I have learned some gunto was produced in post-war Japan for GI souvenirs.   That stuff scares me !  :)   I haven't fell victim to purchasing one of those swords,  but I have witnessed others who have.   It's funny …I think if one is a true collector (nihinto, militaria, etc) , you are not in this to make money,  although I know some of us buy/sell to a degree to support our own hobbies.  The troubling part of collecting militaria (my opinion) is that with rising interest goes rising prices ($$$) which (1) hurt the development of young collectors out there who don't have the funds to get some cool stuff for a new collection and (2) in spawns the birth of more "samurai Monkeys" … folks who are downright dishonest and live by deception to hurt others for personal gain.   OK -  sorry, you hit a nerve.  I promise not to get off topic again.   :thumbsup:   … sorry Brian - won't happen again.  ;-)

Matt - if you know the provenance like that (family recovery) I am sure your cross is good to go. In the early days, 1st and 2nd EK awards weren't heavily faked. I collected the higher end stuff (knight's cross, German Cross, etc). I look for flaws in maker's dyes, as some manufacturer's didn't survive the war (factory bombings) which helps. A big challenge is that some of the iron cross (EK) makers of WW2 stayed in business after war as jewelers ...and post-war stuff gets sold as legit WW2. I am still learning a lot about showa era sword production, in my relatively short time with this superb forum group, I have learned some gunto was produced in post-war Japan for GI souvenirs. That stuff scares me ! :) I haven't fell victim to purchasing one of those swords, but I have witnessed others who have. It's funny …I think if one is a true collector (nihinto, militaria, etc) , you are not in this to make money, although I know some of us buy/sell to a degree to support our own hobbies. The troubling part of collecting militaria (my opinion) is that with rising interest goes rising prices ($$$) which (1) hurt the development of young collectors out there who don't have the funds to get some cool stuff for a new collection and (2) in spawns the birth of more "samurai Monkeys" … folks who are downright dishonest and live by deception to hurt others for personal gain. OK - sorry, you hit a nerve. I promise not to get off topic again. :thumbsup:sorry Brian - won't happen again. ;-)

Yup, happy it’s genuine. He also had the pilots SLP and dagger. The parachute silk was used in my aunts christening gown. I had read somewhere that some crosses have tiny stamps on the ribbon rings?

post-3949-0-21141000-1555967217_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Matt - Your EK2 looks good -  yep, maker's mark often on ring (but not always) use a jeweler's look or take a pic and PM me, and I will help you out.  

I will share this picture as a response, and to share with our fellow members something "cool" ... it's one of my 2nd classes.  One of a kind - I have never seen one nicer, and this picture doesn't do justice.  It was a gift from a senior member of the MOD in Moscow to my best friend (a diplomat).   it reportedly came out of a captured railroad car outside Stalingrad.   Minty as mint can be   :) .    

alright -  back to showa challenges ... I also have a new NCO type 95 that came in the mail this week, and I was nervous because the photos were poor,  but ...  I need to share that under a new thread.  It's not a copper, but the condition is something to see.  I will post soon! post-4102-0-73007600-1555980526_thumb.jpg  

• Like 1

I can't rightly remember the book but it was a German infantryman's account of fighting on the eastern front toward the end of the war when the supply situation was at a critical point, they received an airdrop of supplies which instead of much needed rations/ammunition consisted only of chocolate and Iron Crosses.

• 2 weeks later...

This guy seems to always have "nice" things. Its a shame though, looks like there are a few blades that would still be collectors items or at least preserved if he didn't work his magic. The amount of "extra" parts he has disturbs me on how many he's mismatched.

Now it's like he came up with these WWII Seikoshas out of nowhere too. Hate to see what would happen if he came across some decent Nambus...

I'll be close to him when I get home for leave, I really want to see ehat he says about his "treasures" lol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..