Samurai/nihonto-Related Fiction?

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I've searched and not found threads on this surprisingly. Does anyone have some suggestions on Samurai related fiction? Historical fiction or "fantasy" fiction that is still strongly rooted in Samurai history.

Beyond the obvious Shogun series. I am currently rereading Matsuoka's Otori series.

For purely entertainment, I recommend "Child of Vengeance" and "Sword of Honor" both written by David Kirk.  Fictional accounts of Musashi's life.  "Child of Vengeance" is the first book.  Surprisingly, I found them both at a Dollar Tree store, so cost was nothing!

Taiko is an excellent book to read, but its a BIG book.

Otherwise, books by author Laura Joh Rowland are also very good:

Black Lotus
Bundori (17th C. Thriller)
Red Chrysanthemum
Shinju
The Assasin's Touch
The Cloud Pavilion
The concubine's tattoo
The Samurai's wife
The Snow Empress (Sano Ichiro series)
The way of the traitor

Paul

With no hint of modesty, let me suggest that National Treasure by ME includes reference to the samurai era as well as to the history of sword collecting. It is also available on Amazon for only a couple of bucks.

Peter Bleed

Already on my “wish list” to be bought next. :)

With no hint of modesty, let me  suggest that National Treasure by ME includes reference to the samurai era as well as to the history of sword collecting. It is also available  on Amazon for only a couple of bucks.

My copy just arrived this afternoon, Peter, & I'm looking forward to reading it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..