Another Nthk Europe Shinsa?

I wanted to ask if anybody know if there are any plans for another NTHK(NPO) Shinsa in Europe? I believe the last one was about 10 years ago in the UK if I am not mistaken? Since then IO believe it has been in the talks but nothing really developing.

I would be happy to attend a European based NTHK NPO Shinsa and to submitt blades and kodugu.

I believe that the best bet for the event to take place would be the UK as there are severeal active sword collector societies. On the other hand the upcoming brexit and thus changed custom regulations may be a pain in the ass travelling with swords requiring paper work.

In the end it will boil down to someone willing to organize / host the event - which will require lost of manwork and guranteeting a certain amount to the Shinsa team - and a sufficient number of submission. I do not know the numbers but would want to think that atleast 200 submissions are needed. More likey 300.

Maybe Brian could add some kind of poll so interested people here could vote on how many things they might submitt like 1, 2, 5, 10, 10+ for a possible indication of interest.

• Like 2

Gentlemen

I would welcome an NTHK shinsa in Europe. I was involved in the two that took place before 2010. These were with the Yoshikawa NTHK. The NTHK NPO did express an interest in doing one some years ago but at the time it generated insufficient interest to make it worthwhile for them.

While welcoming such an event please be aware they are a great deal of work and certainly those I was involved with took a great deal of time. initial commitment failed to translate into people taking slots and it was a major challenge to fill the event. After we had and passed the deadline for submission we had numerous complaints of people not having the opportunity to send swords in. :dunno:

Times change and perhaps now there would be more people wanting to submit swords or fittings making it worthwhile for the NTHK to come over.

Location will be key and as you say the activities of our politicians might complicate things in the short term.

• Like 1

Hello Paul,

persoanlly I would be willing to travel to the UK - given the Brexit still makes it possible to do it without custom hassles. The next best option geographically might be Germany as it is in the center of Europe.

I assume all the collectors clubs / organisations within Europe ought to be in the talks to spread the word for discussions amongst their members.

As far as I am concerned I would be willing - and I think this sould be the rule - to male a 50% slot reserveration fee advance payment to whoever host the event and so should evrybody else (where the amount is refundable if the event does not take place and none refundable if the person does ot show up)

Two key factors may be in my oppinion

a) Cost of Submission - it has to be reasonable that is worthwhile as an altenrtaive to sending to Japan.

b) Cost of a Mail im handling sevrice -The US Shinsas do offer this. I think many people within Europe would be willing to use this, especially where they have only few submissions. Probably far fewer people are willing to travel in person while quite a few would be interested in such a service.

The overal costhas to be reasonable. The last US NTHK NPO Shinsa was 275 per Kanteisho issued pus USD 100 (plus back and forth shipping) when using the mail in service. This brings the cost at 375.00 per Kanteisho plus shipping versus approx 410.000 Yen when doing it in Japan for the NTHK.

But first of all somebody would need to be willing to be willing to organize such an event - which is he crux of the matter.

• Like 1

In its communication, the KENKYU KAI TOSOGU KAI (KTK) recently mentioned a possibility to have a convention in Germany in 2020. While there was no confirmation of that event, it might be a good opportunity to combine this with a SHINSA team from Japan. 

• Like 1

I think it has been in the talks for a long while. I remember that some years ago already it was thrown as an idea in Sweden aften in one European gathering, and after that I've touched the subject on few occasions with more senior/influential collectors in Europe.

If my memory does not fail me some years ago there was a thread about shinsa in Europe and even discussion about how many swords members would surely bring in? I remember even writing in a thread like that but now I cannot find that thread when I search my old posts. I'm remembering Chris Bowen even adding insight about number of swords required to break even? All of this can't be a false memory, right, right? :crazy:

My suggestion would be (if there will be another) Samurai Art Expo as the venue, and the Netherlands is easily accessible from all over Europe. Eddy Wertheim (and others involved) did spectacular job organizing the event. I remember many of us talked about perhaps the possibility that event could be biennial (had to look that up but it means happening in every two years) in the future. Of course the optimal would be if the attendance and interest are there to support it that it could be a yearly event.

However the financial risk in organizing an event + bringing in NTHK shinsa is not a small one. I think we should offer our support as collecting community if someone decides to make it happen. I know I'd try to visit that event and most likely would get another set of papers for both of my swords just for fun and to see how similar or different the different organization attributions are.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, all!

I think this is a great idea and would suggest Germany(Berlin?) or the Netherlands.

I could bring 4 swords for myself and several more from my customers.

As soon as the whole thing is seriously considered I would advertise this on my HP and offer my help to support this event.

To begin with, an organizer is needed and somebody has to inquire at NTHK about the exact requirements for a shinsa team to come over including a possible date.

Jean, most airlines will carry a sword in a locked guncase, which is anyway required for transport in Germany. If somebody is not able to tbring it in personally, I might be of help to arrange a transport by a licensed "transporter".

Even though edged weapons are subject to federal laws in Germany, you can buy and own swords of any type, old or new, if you are at least 18 years old. Cane swords are forbidden if mounted.

Cheers, Martin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..