Nagasone Kotetsu 虎徹

Fung

Dear ?

I am afraid I can not offer an opinion certainly not a proffessional one, but consider the following:

Nagasone Kotetsu is one of the most copied smiths in history. There is a large number of swords carrying his signature circulating around the market.

Some of the forgeries are extremely good and have fooled many people for a long time. Some that have been authenticated in the past  are questionable today.

The problem is made worse by the range of and differences in his signature throughout his working life. 

To establish the authenticity of your sword would require a great deal of study of the mei and I for one don't have the skill to make that determination.

If this sword is coming out of Japan unpapered or with old papers be very cautious. If it is a local find that is unpapered then put it in for shinsa.

without an up to date paper it is unlikely that anyone would be confident in establishing it's authenticity.

• Like 4

If someone is starting out (i.e only 8 posts on the board) then of course it can be a question. Thats how we gain knowledge. Therefore it deserves a reasonable response

I can appreciate that such questions can be exasperatring for those with greater experience but didnt you start somewhere?

• Like 4

It was not my intention to come off as exasperated. I've adjusted the post. The goal is to pass on very important heuristic in the most categorical way possible. 

Generally, I feel we should be careful about looking at kantei points for these blades without prefacing with the warning. This gives the impression that there could actually be a chance of something there. While explaining the kantei points is educational in its own right, we must at minimum preface these posts with this warning. If we take gloves, speak indirectly, ramble on with anecdotes of the old days we're not going to get the message through. 

People who get burned will exit the hobby and conclude it's all a scam. Casual readers of this forum need to read this message enough time from different people that it becomes a second nature to question these 'free lunches' 

hmfung325, please tell us more about the sword and its history. What about the measurements?

Have a look at Markus book Shinto & Shinshinto-Kantei and check the authentic Kotetsu. Esp. the mei is different to your sword.

Best and welcome on board

Hi all, thanks for your valuable comments, much appreciated. I’m not sure whom I can ask so I come to ask the question on this forum, my first thought is the Mei looks good and near the original one provided by the seller with his sword reference book. but when it comes to Hamon I could find no information.

Actually I faced some difficulties to do my research on the subject of Japanese swords here because in my city there is no book and only very few studies Japanese swords. I tried to research on Kotestsu online but too bad I can’t find good info.

Actually I faced some difficulties to do my research on the subject of Japanese swords here because in my city there is no book or even no one studies Japanese swords. I tried to research on Kotestsu online but too bad I can’t find any info in English nor even in Japanese.

There are Japanese sword collectors in HK, you can order books easily via Amazon or Lulu, and there's a *ton* of info about Kotetsu online, not only in Japanese, but also in English:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E9%95%B7%E6%9B%BD%E7%A5%A2+%E8%99%8E%E5%BE%B9&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizoo-Lw_zfAhUF57wKHfDaC1UQBQgqKAA&biw=1280&bih=658

https://www.google.com/search?ei=sH9EXImXOMym8AW1wYywCg&q=nagasone+kotetsu&oq=nagasone+kotetsu&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i22i30l9.7533.8500..9481...0.0..0.127.714.0j6......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i19j0i22i30i19.jG7H7WtdcPw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..