Distortion In The Market: False Scarcity

Valric

Ok, I have to bite !!!!

After over 20+ years of study, collecting, show attending, DTI,  and club membership participation; I think this:

The DTI displays showcases the most wonderful blades. The koshirea was reserved for the most special of smiths and quality with papers.

The USA shows have the displays of those who want to ride themselves of bad past purchases; with many exceptions of some good choices.

But, the DTI and shows, showcase the papered blades, as the front performers.

Sword vs blade; sword vs blade; etc.

The blade to me is the engine of the sword, without its power all else is but beautiful historical artifacts.

I find at the DTI as well as the USA shows, the sword, with all it's grander, is lost without the whole package.

This year, I searched the DTI for fully, mounted, papered, originated matching koshirea, and found but one I, that I purchased and had sent home to me. Unless you loose your mind and spend without rational.

This is a fact that extends into the USA shows as well.

I look at the USA auto trade shows, engines for sale, wheels, interior, bodies, etc: yet none are the car.

Hence, my assertion is to find a true, fully matching, papered, and original mounted sword, is indeed, very hard to find.

This agrees with the side that says a good fully mounted sword is hard to find, but the junk and parts are out there for all others; and great papered stuff.

I have to agree with you Gary.  The quality of the finest Japanese sword when residing in a shirasaya is not apparent to the uninitiated. You could have a Masamune displayed on your kake and to most individuals it would appear to be a sword in a stick(cane sword?). The quality of it would not be apparent to most people. If any sword is displayed in a good  koshirae, it attracts much more admiration from the neophyte as well as the seasoned connoisseur. To appreciate the quality of the sword it must be held in the hand and viewed in reflected light from various angles and even then one must have some insight into what one is observing. A high quality koshirae does not require much special knowledge to be appreciated, it is self evident to most people. I personally feel that a sword without a koshirae is like a symphony of sheet music with no musicians to perform it. A fully mounted sword is a wonderful thing to behold and is the concerted effort of numerous master artisans. I believe the whole composition is what makes Japanese Swords the finest swords in the world. Without the koshirae something is missing.   

• Like 2

One has to make do with something when they run out of Unicorn pelts.

-S-

Yep!

You really haven't lived until you've slept on 1000 thread count unicorn sheets lol

Also I'd like to add that many of the SELLING/ASKING prices are inflated but actual purchase prices of papered/desirable Nihonto seems ok to me. Given I've only been following prices for less than 2 years so, grain of salt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..