Minatogawa Shrine Swords

Ed

Maybe that helps.

Masakiyo was offered $9,500 (Ricecracker) in ShiraSaya

Masatome was offered $3,190  (AOI) in ShiraSaya

Masataka was offered $8,000 (Ricecracker) in civillian Koshirae

Masataka is offered $10,800 (Kyodai.nl) in ShiraSaya

Yoshichika was offered $2,700 (AOI) in Shira Saya (sword was made for minatogawa)

Ed, et al., 

The reasons for the price dispairity between Minatogawa and Yasukuni is mult-faceted.  

First and foremost, there are far more Yasukuni still extant because the vast majority of Minatogawa swords are at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

Second, the production numbers are much higher with Yasukuni swords which had not only more smiths working, but a 7 year head start over Minatogawa productions.

Third, Yasukuni blades were typically made available for purchase by officers while (it is thought) Minatogawa blades were directed to and issued by the Naval Academey, and Naval War Staff College to graduates.  While there are records of production and acquisitions for Yasukunito, there are scant records for Minatogawa as theirs were either destroyed in air raids or by Navy Command perhaps.

Fourth, on a wholesale level, the workmanship is generally quite different.  It is my opinion that Minatogawato nose ahead above Yasukunito in quality on the whole.  Minatogawa swords were made in the spirit of Ko-Bizen and can exhibit some utsuri, nie, deep ashi, and other fine elements.  I have seen one Minatogawa blade with a serious fukure, as well as one complete fake.  I have also seen a couple of the smiths work which was done outside the shrine and their work was consistent in quality, style, and appearance. 

Fifth, simply stated;  romance.   Navy items just have more appeal to some collectors. 

So at the end of the day, Occum's razor applies in that Minatogawa swords are rarer both at a matter of origins and results of attrition, with a different workmanship, (perhaps) a qualitative edge, and different appeal.  If a Yasukuni sword will command lets' say a range of $4500-$6000, then it's natural that the factors associated with Minatogawa will command an accordingly higher price.  Of course the standard caveat in this is that each swords value is beholden to state of preservation, condition, provinance, accompanying mountings, etc..  

Here is an oshigata of a Minatogawa sword by Masanao that I polished in 2010.  It indeed had visible bo utsuri in it.

post-38-0-41250900-1547907119_thumb.png

• Like 7

Looks like RJT swords have a better quality. The were forged and inspected at the license handbook.

Inspections and the criteria for acceptance clearly became more relaxed as the war went on.  I have seen many Gendaito that were flawed in ways that make them undesirable for collectors today, yet they passed the "inspection" and received a stamp.  Perhaps the state of polish was the reason they passed as the flaw may not have been visible yet, but also these were to my memory, all in the years of 1944 and 1945.  Raw materials, time, resources, and moral were all diminishing at an exponential rate by that time.  

Also, the Yasukuni records show a tiered price for their blades indicating that quality was judged and prices charged based on several levels.  Better quality = more ¥.

Ted this was a little sarcastic answer  ;-) to the post before. If you read my post than you see that I have the same meaning of minatogawa swords.

And yes, I have no minatogawa sword in my collection. I didn't find the right one.

Ted,

Thanks for reiterating, and adding to my thoughts on this.

As far as quality, flaws or being a masterpiece, it is the same with all sword-smiths.  Not all of their works are masterpieces, quality varies. 

As far as what was released with the shrines blessing may have changed towards the end when resources where scarce and weapons were needed.  That could explain why there are some examples with flaws.

You must remember that not everything was set in stone, rules were made to be broken.

To me the only feasible explanation for today's value of the Minotogawa swords is related to their rarity.

There were less smiths forging these than the Yasukuni-To, and many of them ended up on the ocean floor. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's sad, but anytime someone can take a $ item and make it into a $$ item, there are going to be fakes.  In the mid 80's, I was into Colt Single Action Army revolvers (U.S Calvary and Artillery models).  The fakes got so good that x-ray was necessary in order to know for sure that a U.S. Cavalry SAA was authentic.  I'm not qualified to pass judgement on that mon, but it does make me skeptical.  

Chris, I think you're right.  Wish I had Wallinger's book.  Curious how many variations of the Kikusui mon are shown in it.

Edit:  Presuming the Minatogawa smiths made blades outside of the shrine, and used the same signature, then I think you have to look at both the signature and the mon.  I would expect the faker's to be looking for genuine Masa_ _ _ _  blades w/o the mon, and adding it in order to up the value.

Yep. Thanks Chris!  There's always going to be a little variation, but there's more than I expected.  I would have been skeptical of the Sadakazu, due to the extra petals.  It's just my nature  :dunno: I'm liking Tom's mon now  :thumbsup:.

Note to self:  Got to find a copy of Wallinger's book.

Tom, take a forensic close up look at yours, it is not cut but a collection of semi circular punches that don't line up and overlap. Of course there are variations of cut mei, but not to my knowledge not made by a tool from the hardware store. That's why I wanted a close up before judgement.         

Hello:

Having known Herman Wallinga well and sharing his interest in Minatogawa, and having contributed a thing or two to his now scarce publicat-

ion, I can assure all that the Kikusui mon are individually cut, however variation should not be substantial. They are wonderful "treasures" to own.

Arnold F.

• Like 3