My Munemichi

Rickisan

Good Morning !

This is my first Katana. I just wanted to share pics with everyone because I think she is a beauty. Many of you had encouraged me to save up for something a little nicer...I think this fits! Be gentle…and tell me how I did!

Here is my shot at a write up. :freak: Some is what I know from the seller, and what I have found looking thru the books.

Signed;

Ura - Echizen Ju

Omote -Kazusa no Kami Fujiwara Munemichi

He is listed as Chu Jo Saju-

Nagasa is 2 Shaku 9 Bu, which is roughly 63.33cm or 24.93inches.(if I did it right)

It has tight itami hada with Masame through the Shinogi. There is Jinie.

Konie Deki Gunome and O Gunome Midare with Tobi-yaki.

Figures are strewn with profuse and striating Konie Sunagashi in which the Nie are Hakikake swept.

Bright Kinsuji cuts Niju through the Yakiba.

Boshi is an even Saagari Chumaru with falling lines of Kinsuji.

Nice dark patina envelops the Machi-Okuri Nakago.

There are two Mekugi ana.

A nice gold covered Habaki

A dark "Tiger-Stripe" Shira-saya with Saya-gaki,(I'm still not sure who wrote it :dunno: )

I'm told Munemichi first signed Munetsugu.

Shimosaka town of Kanbun era, Echizen. Sugatanikurouemon?

1st Generation - Kanbun 1661.

A few more pics up in a bit-

Rick

post-748-14196748455978_thumb.jpg

post-748-14196748458525_thumb.jpg

post-748-14196748459099_thumb.jpg

I think you did well with your first katana, some like them a bet longer but yours must have had the hamachi moved up so it may have been a standard kanbun size. all in all nice sword. It will be intersting trying to photograph a Katana this time. id hope others will take time to reply.

Hi Rick,

Stephen said it all

I like it. (Machi okuri. Take the distance between the 2 mekugi ana and you will have a good idea of its initial nagasa.)

That's a very good starter sword.

With such a sword, you won't have any excuse for not not knowing what are Kinsuji, sunagashi, hakikake ....

I wish I had done as well when I bought my first sword more than 30 years ago, I did not know at that time what hada, hamon, hataraki meant or exist - there were happy days -

Now I am glued in this Nihonto thing as in a cobweb :) :) :)

Once again congratulation, it was worth waiting

Thanks Jean -

I am in the cobweb with you.

Everytime I get an new Item...I swear its good enough, and I dont need anymore. I dont seem to be listning to myself very good-

So now I find myself saving up again...thinking of shooting for a Juyo on the next one.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear NMB -

Almost forgot to thank everyone who commented about my Katana. Yes, shes Machi-Okuri...and apparently not the best, but we all start somewhere.

I really do appreiciate the knowledge and advice the board members share with the new guys!

Thanks again, and if anyone else has any additional thoughts/comments...feel free to post them!

Rick H.

...and apparently not the best, but we all start somewhere.
There are not too many who can afford the best - we should go for the best we can afford, and I think you did a pretty good job at that. No need to defend your purchase, it's a very decent sword, and way above much of what we see posted here all too frequently.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..