Show Your Presents - The Christmas Aftermath

Dwain, the gun is a Tanegashima-type matchlock made in Hino Town east of Lake Biwa in about 1835-1840, signed by one of the last of the famous Wada line of gunsmiths.

The metalwork inlay and the lacquer decoration is for the Ikeda Han who ruled Tottori on the Japan Sea during the Edo Period.

I phoned the Hino Merchant Museum to see what the connection might have been between Hino and Tottori, and it turns out that for about 180 years Hino sourced their wood from Tottori. Although there is a long tradition of lacquerware in Hino Town, the lacquerwork looks to have been done later than the gun itself, so this may well have been completed once the gun was in Tottori. There is more research to be done but this is what I have discovered so far.

• Like 3

Dwain, the gun is a Tanegashima-type matchlock made in Hino Town east of Lake Biwa in about 1835-1840, signed by one of the last of the famous Wada line of gunsmiths.

The metalwork inlay and the lacquer decoration is for the Ikeda Han who ruled Tottori on the Japan Sea during the Edo Period.

I phoned the Hino Merchant Museum to see what the connection might have been between Hino and Tottori, and it turns out that for about 180 years Hino sourced their wood from Tottori. Although there is a long tradition of lacquerware in Hino Town, the lacquerwork looks to have been done later than the gun itself, so this may well have been completed once the gun was in Tottori. There is more research to be done but this is what I have discovered so far.

And that's the actual condition it was in when you first purchased it? Amazing piece of work!

Either way I really like it. Stupid question but have you ever fired it????

It came onto the market out of a collection, was covered in grunge and some parts were broken or missing. Most of the lacquer was hidden under grime. I cleaned off the obvious dirt from the lacquer and waxed it without removing the patina on the brass and copper inlays. It took three weeks of oiling and hammering, uh... gentle coaxing to open the Bisen 尾栓 breech screw. The pin for the pan was a bent nail, among other odd things that needed fixing by the friendly local gunsmith. The original ramrod was broken off too short, thus pretty useless, so I saved the remainder and rebuilt it with a longer and more functional ramming head to it.

At present no, I have not fired it, but the earliest opportunity for me would be from April when our displays begin again. Last year I fired three guns for the first time, substituting them each time for my regular old trusty guns. The legal paperwork for public diplays has to be filed in advance with the police, and this is tricky here in Japan. I was careful to ask the gunsmith if (in theory) it could be fired now and he smiled and assured me it was safe to fire.

• Like 3

Guest Rayhan

Long overdue post but I got this Tsuba (purchased from Ian Chapman at Nihonto.uk) from Ian a few days ago. Ian pins it at a more modern made Tsuba but I fell in love with the details and decided it will live on the Soshu Yukimitsu Koshirae being made in Japan. Hope you all got what you wanted! Buying for yourself is the guaranteed way :)

post-3929-0-85508000-1546353808_thumb.jpg

post-3929-0-21227800-1546353823_thumb.jpg

post-3929-0-69069900-1546353837_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..