Another Mitsuyasu Casting Or Is It Real?

Mantis dude

Hi all,

I came across this auction https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/d330610180which is very similar to this previously discussed thread http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/24700-it-is-real-kikuoka-mitsuyasu-daisho-set-or-a-copy/.  At first glance it looks good including the mei?  But after reading the previous thread, I started looking closer and I want to verify what I am identifying as a casting.post-23-0-82513800-1544671321_thumb.jpg.  I noticed that the bee's antennae are not defined well and looks like a big casting spot mistake? Also the wings don't seem to be as good as in in the book example mitsuyasu book example tsuba insects.pdf.  Also there are several spots around the tsuba edge that seem muddled, especially on the backside of the tsuba (refer to auction) where it looks like the casting didn't take/wasn't defined. Am I correct in my assessment?  I have a picture of a similar tsuba with the similar or even worse issues that was  sold for $1700 back in 2015.  Obviously, I and I think all of us would want to avoid that mistake.

Thanks for any input.

Ken aka "the Mantis Dude"

I find this type of casting to be some of the most dangerous collectors can encounter. They looked much better than most fakes. Good thing it has been used on the same type/depiction. Really highlights the need to be ever villigent.

not sure if this has been covered but out of curiosity how many tsuba can be produced from 1 mold? Is it only once? Or can several be made? I assume it is a bit labor intensive? This only worthy of doing on high values pieces?

Not that this forum needs a statement of collector usefulness but it does highlight just how useful this forum can be.

Thanks again for making me just that much more knowledgeable. Happy holidays to all.

Ken "the mantis dude"

Dear Ken,

With the lost wax method and a rubber casting mold many copies can be easily made.  The original tsuba (or other object) is covered in many rubber sheets and put in a hot press which molds the rubber around the object and presses into the details.  Then the mold is cut open and the original is removed.  Thereafter, the mold is injected with hot wax under pressure which makes an identical wax copy of the original tsuba.  Many such wax copies can be made from that mold in a few minutes.  The wax copy is attached to wax "sprues" and then covered with a slurry like plaster of paris (the "hard" mold).  The whole thing is put in a kiln which melts out the wax leaving a void in the "hard" mold that is the same as the original tsuba.  Then molten metal is poured into the hard mold through the channels left by the wax sprues that melted away.  The hard mold is then placed in water where the "plaster" dissolves leaving the tsuba (with sprues that are now metal attached).  The sprues are cut off and the tsuba cleaned up and perhaps hand finished.  This form of molding is so precise that it can replicate very fine detail (e.g., fingerprints).  You can use this method to make many tsuba in just a few days (depending upon the amount of hand finishing).  The line caused by cutting the original tsuba out of the rubber mold is often apparent in the finished product (the seam or flashing seen in the sukashi or on the mimi of some cast tsuba).

Hi Ken,

George covered the Lost Wax/Cire Perdue technique very well.  As you can see, It's  relatively easy to reproduce whatever one wishes,  Fortunately, any relatively complex object is bound to exhibit some telltale 'artifacts'.  Ones best defense is careful examination of the object at hand, the weapon of choice is knowledge.  Those who act in haste, unprepared, are the scammers quarry!  

Caveat emptor,

-S-

p.s.- BTW, good sleuthing, Sherlock.

• Like 1

Thanks George for the casting overview. I never read the process of how it's done. Most informative. And I will agree Steve, knowledge is one of the best defenses. As time goes by I am starting to understand what those more experienced collectors were looking at as they examined a piece. One day, dare i say it, I might become a little knowledgeable...one day. Although this device's auto correction might kill me before that happens. Really appreciate the input and hope others take away some of these lessons.

All the best,

Ken aka"the mantis dude"

Hi all,

I figured I report that the auction ended at 158,000 yen (1450usd). Too bad the other bidders didn't realize what I did (with the confirmation of this group). That's the 2nd time I have seen similar repos go for that much money. Shame but this whole exercise really highlights just how vigilant you have to be. Wonder how these fakes feel in hand in comparison to the real thing - just as another indicator. Anyone let's hope we can reduce this from happening. All the best.

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..